Plex GPU Transcoding!!

Go to solution Solved by ich777,

Hi all,

Firstly, I just want to say sorry in advance, for yet another Plex Transcoding discussion. I know there have been a bunch in the past, which I've read through, but I still can't get mine working, using the GPU. It's constantly maxing out the CPU.

I have attached a bunch of screen captures to show you my setup. 

If anyone has any clue as to what is going on, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you very much,

Mort

Plex 1.JPG

Plex 2.JPG

Plex 3.JPG

Plex 4.JPG

Transcode 2.JPG

Transcode.JPG

Edited by mort78
Included Information
  • Like 1
  • Solution
2 minutes ago, mort78 said:

FYI, I have been using Tdarr and I've had zero issues with Unraid using my GPU. It's simply Plex that I can't get to work.

Please read the second post in the Nvidia Driver plugin support thread, I think you ar missing some things in your Docker template.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ich777 said:

Where you able to solve your issue?

I seem to be having the same issue here, and I believe that I have everything set correctly, but i'm also new to unraid so I may have missed something. 

1614627587_Screenshot2023-03-06194853.thumb.png.1645842b6586ed021a5e9b34dcbea04d.png

653605329_Screenshot2023-03-06193143.thumb.png.789941830bfbfd98e79a6cbf6d589921.png

537628933_Screenshot2023-03-06193357.thumb.png.caa79067e667cf12be54e6ed6e19e58d.png

273485542_Screenshot2023-03-06193522.thumb.png.88fa7c91c6b812b3967fd8874887072f.png

Edited by Murakamin
4 hours ago, Murakamin said:

and I believe that I have everything set correctly

Please look at the second post from the Nvidia Driver support page again:

Right at the beginning at 1.

You have set it at Additional Requiremens not at Extra Parameters.

@domrockt has posted the solution and the quote from the support thread one post above my previous post.

23 hours ago, mort78 said:

FYI, I have been using Tdarr and I've had zero issues with Unraid using my GPU. It's simply Plex that I can't get to work.

If Tdarr is working then you must have done this before…

18 hours ago, ich777 said:

You have set it at Additional Requiremens not at Extra Parameters.

Ah! That seems to have gotten me a step closer. I've gotten that corrected but I still seem to be CPU encoding. My GPU shows some activity from plex, but my cpu is still maxing out.

535904241_Screenshot2023-03-07185630.thumb.png.c6fd2c252903c15a9df711618ffa8205.png

afaik the 980 does not use h.265, so when your video uses that the CPU takes over.

The FX is very old to.

When i start an Stream my 12900 spinns up one or two cores to 30% for a brief buffer period and my IGPU is transcoding. 

Your FX should be pegged 100% for a while. But should go lower after a while.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, domrockt said:

afaik the 980 does not use h.265, so when your video uses that the CPU takes over.

The FX is very old to.

When i start an Stream my 12900 spinns up one or two cores to 30% for a brief buffer period and my IGPU is transcoding. 

Your FX should be pegged 100% for a while. But should go lower after a while.

ah, gotcha. I was afraid that might be it. This is an old gaming pc, hence the older gear. This was also transcoding a 4K HDR 10 bit video to 480p.

Edited by Murakamin
On 3/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, domrockt said:

could it be that? 

Add '--runtime=nvidia' in your Docker template in 'Extra Parameters' (you have to enable 'Advanced view' in the template to see this option)

image.webp.d5f675bd6a8c43216b8cccfc86772804.webp

Hi Dom,

I had that in already. I got mine working. I'll post below what I did wrong. I feel like such a muppet. 🤦‍♂️

On 3/6/2023 at 10:09 PM, ich777 said:

Where you able to solve your issue?

Good Morning Ich,

Yes, I was able to solve the problem. I had another look at it yesterday, as I've been away from home with work. 

I feel like a prize idiot.... 

So the issue was staring me straight in the face. In the DOCKER container, instead of having the NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES in the KEY field, I had mine in the NAME field. I simply must have forgotten to copy it into the key field as well. All of the other parameters were in the correct place already. 

Kind regards,

Mort

Edited by mort78
Additional Information
  • Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue.  I have NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES and my GPU pasted in there, I have a screen plugged in (it wasn't turned on though - I assume I don't have to actually have it on - that would be annoying - it was on at the wall though).  I also have --runtime=nvidia in extra parameters, no spaces.  I have the two checkboxes on in in Plex for hardware acceleration.  Have restarted docker, and the whole machine.  I can see the GPU is detected using the GPU stats plugin.

There used to be some other parameters needed - driver capabilities and such, these I assume are no longer required with the new driver?

I'm running unraid 6.12.0-rc6.

Also, I'm running official Plex docker.  Anything I've missed?

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2023 at 10:12 PM, Cyborg said:

I have started have the same issue. I have everything setup as you say in this thread. I have no idea why my 1060 dont work anymore, my CPU just kick in in both PLEX and Tdarr. I dont know why...

Did you ever get this fixed?