I am having troiubler getting unraid to be able to recongnize and use my 6tb Seagate SAS hardrives Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So i am trying to set up an unraid server for the first time to run a plex server. I bought these hard drives ST6000NM0034 6TB 7200 SAS-12Gb/s Hard Drive 128MB DKS2F-H6R0SS HDS 5560075-A 520

Some of you may immediately notice the 520. well i have already converted 3 to 512. But every time i start the array i get "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout" I have also tried unassigned devices plugin to format them and that fails. I'll attach my sys log with this post. any guidance would be extremely helpful! Thank you.

syslog.txt

• Solution

Symptoms look like when a SAS drive is formatted with type1/type2 protection, though nothing about that on SMART, but I've seen that before, so try low level formatting the drives without any protection, more info here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/93432-parity-disk-read-errors/?do=findComment&comment=864078

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110835-help-with-a-sas-drive/

Hey thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it. Looks like imma just return these and stop slamming my head against the wall.

I know its off topic. But i wanna get 4 similar sized sas drives. But i really dont wanna go through this again. Do you have any recommendations? These i got recommend straight from the serverbuilds.net build and they clearly let me down at least the drives. They're recommends on everything else was great.