Unraid on mini PC with e-sata drives

2 hours ago, rama3124 said:

Yes but is internal drives attached directly to the motherboard somehow superior to attaching external drives via esata?

Only in physical sense - basically, you have a risk of yanking the cable a bit more. At interface level, esata is same as sata

obviously, what makes them similar also puts higher demands on esata connectivity - cables are shielded, connector is a bit more robust, so in the end physical differences may not matter as long as you don’t manage to disconnect or power off drives while in use

Edited by apandey

So if I have a mini PC and am looking for the easiest way to expand storage while keeping the same PC and ideally similar performance, then I should look at installing an SAS HBA card and then having a SAS to 4 X e-SATA cables extending to an external drive enclosure. Does this make sense or is it crazy? Also how would these external drives be powered? Thanks 

5 hours ago, rama3124 said:

then I should look at installing an SAS HBA card and then having a SAS to 4 X e-SATA cables extending to an external drive enclosure. Does this make sense or is it crazy? Also how would these external drives be powered? Thanks 

You should be looking first to find a suitable e-SATA enclosure for housing the drives that you want to use.  When you have done that, the answers to most of your questions will be probably be obvious.  

You might be better served by looking for a small PC case to hold the number of drives you need rather than this exotic setup you are trying to assemble.  Three 16TB drives in a case would give you a 32Tb parity protected array.  That would be enough storage for over 1000 BluRay quality movies.

• Like 1