Notifications for UPS events

I thought this used to work in the past, but I don't recall the last time I received a notification for a UPS event. This includes when the UPS goes on battery and back on AC. I recall getting email messages in the past, but it's been a long time since I've seen then. I assumed it would go to the agent where I have Pushover configured (and I do get other unRAID notifications for other events there like update notifications and sync operations). I did have several events today and all of those UPS events were detected and logged by unRAID (no notifications).

Am I just missing something here in my config?

21 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Make sure that all your network devices (switches, router, modem) are on the UPS battery buss.  Otherwise, your message will never get out of the server...

All networking equipment on one UPS.

unRAID server and all attached components on a separate UPS.

No service  or network interruptions for any service during a power failure.

Edited by snowboardjoe

Now check the Settings    >>>    Notifications  that you have all the boxes checked for agent notifications.  If it is look in the syslog for an event where you did get notification for them and select a string to search the syslog for.   Another thing to try to to activate the e-mail notification for a while. 

You can search for apcupsd  and find if you have had a 'Power failure'  and what action that apcupsd performed in the case of that event.   I had only one event of a 'Power failure' and power restoration occurred within five seconds so the UPS did not initiate shutdown.  (My time-on-battery is 30 seconds.)  As far as I can tell, there was no notification send out (or even an attempt to).

One could make an argument either way as to whether a notification should be sent or not.  If the users were polled, I would bet most people would vote "No".  Many (if not most) people seem to prefer to not even see a daily notification that no errors have been detected on their server.  (Personally, I am always happy to get that daily message with the phrase "array health report [PASS]" in the subject block!)

IF you want to know what notification action is performed when the UPS does initiate a shutdown, I leave that to you to investigate.

23 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Many (if not most) people seem to prefer to not even see a daily notification that no errors have been detected on their server.  (Personally, I am always happy to get that daily message with the phrase "array health report [PASS]" in the subject block!)

If you don't send "all OK" messages regularly, you'll never know if the error messages are getting lost somewhere. No news is good news definitely doesn't apply if your messages aren't getting through.

• Upvote 1