Normal behavior when renaming a VM? (manual directory name changes too)

Hi, this may have been asked/answered but I didn't have luck searching... 

I think the title says it all, but basically I have a VM with a manual primary vdisk named... it changes names when I change the name of the server (this doesn't seem to happen if it is in a location other than where it "would be" in auto.. but if it is in the "auto" location, even set to manual... it seems to change... 

it's not a big deal, I was just trying to rename a vm with a "-old" to create a new one named the same as original, and realized it switched the "manual" designation to "auto" and renamed the folder in the domains directory..  I repeated and got same result... so I then manually used a different folder (that didn't match vm name) and this didn't happen.

resolving it was simple enough, I'm just curious if this is a choice that was made for "reasons" or just an oversight... doesn't seem like it should if it is "manual"

TIA

-g

52 minutes ago, Garbonzo said:

Hi, this may have been asked/answered but I didn't have luck searching... 

I think the title says it all, but basically I have a VM with a manual primary vdisk named... it changes names when I change the name of the server (this doesn't seem to happen if it is in a location other than where it "would be" in auto.. but if it is in the "auto" location, even set to manual... it seems to change... 

it's not a big deal, I was just trying to rename a vm with a "-old" to create a new one named the same as original, and realized it switched the "manual" designation to "auto" and renamed the folder in the domains directory..  I repeated and got same result... so I then manually used a different folder (that didn't match vm name) and this didn't happen.

resolving it was simple enough, I'm just curious if this is a choice that was made for "reasons" or just an oversight... doesn't seem like it should if it is "manual"

TIA

-g

You should report in the stable bugs, which release are you on a there was bug for VM renames but would have to check which version it was added, but may still be an issue with your use case. i.e. not auto as I think the rename expects to be in domains/VM Name.

ok, I can't see a way for me to move it (though mods probably can) should I just delete and repost when I have time tonight? 
I should have looked at where I was posting better I suppose. Thanks. 

-g

edit: actually I hadn't looked, but it is now in VM Engine, which isn't where I posted, so I assume it was moved by someone who knows where it should go... so thanks! 

Edited by Garbonzo
about post location
  • 3 weeks later...