Future Unraid Feature Desires

Future Unraid Feature Desires  

745 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• SpencerJ changed the title to Future Unraid Feature Desires
  • SpencerJ featured and pinned this topic

Seems to me that if ZFS is implemented in its entirety, that multiple array pools will also essentially be implemented, no? At least it would be if you chose to use that file system.

In any case, I would really like to have VM snapshots implemented in the GUI in some way. It is such a powerful feature, and has been available in VMware products forever.

Thanks for a great product!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, harshl said:

Seems to me that if ZFS is implemented in its entirety, that multiple array pools will also essentially be implemented, no? At least it would be if you chose to use that file system.

Multiple pools have been available for a while now. 6.12 adds the ability to use ZFS for those multiple pools.

It's the single volume per drive parity based array that is being proposed to have multiple instances. That style of array will likely always be restricted to single file systems on each member drive, thus the multi drive reliant features of ZFS will never be able to be used in the traditional Unraid parity array.

4 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Multiple pools have been available for a while now. 6.12 adds the ability to use ZFS for those multiple pools.

They said "multiple array pools", meaning something different than what is currently offered. At least that's how it reads to me.

Edited by BRiT
9 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

It's the single volume per drive parity based array that is being proposed to have multiple instances. That style of array will likely always be restricted to single file systems on each member drive, thus the multi drive reliant features of ZFS will never be able to be used in the traditional Unraid parity array.

Ah yes, that makes sense!

At one point it was possible to open the main "links" on top in a new tab if you held down "Command" on Mac or "Control" on Windows (and likely Linux). Lately when I've tried to do such, it opens in a new tab _and_ the current tab. Would be much appreciated if this was fixed.

It would be great if Machine Check Events were easier to observe and use. Updated documentation also.

2 hours ago, Wastl said:

I'd really like to see an integrated backup solution for appdata, VMs and shares. And it should not be necessary to stop the containers and VMs for it.

I think this essentially another vote for snapshots. Once the snapshot is taken you can copy that state of the data anywhere you want while everything is online.

Although, I suppose this might go a step further to say, let's not only snapshot, but give us a built in mechanism to copy the snapshot data elsewhere. Regardless, snapshots is key in my mind to enable any of this.

• Upvote 1

Please GUI enhancements for VM control, like PCIe control, ReBAR control, PCIe Address management, more VM properties, control over more things without needing to edit XML directly, which gets wiped out if GUI interface is applied anytime after XML changes.

Would be the most amazing thing.

I already have nightly working running VM snapshots via script and VM Backup plugin.

Furthermore, there is already a working Appdata Backup plugin, these things are already available with existing plugins.

Array/share data backups are easy in script (I did it personally already).

Edited by KptnKMan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
I would like to cast a vote for some kind of clustering or high availability feature.

It probably won't be useful to most people, but I have 3 unraid servers. One networking NUC server thats on a dedicated UPS thats used for the most essential containers and VMs, one storage server that handle most backup and storage tasks, and a hypervisor thats used for running most vms. Having a way to automatically keep the most important VMs and containers up despite the hardware going down for maintenance would be a huge help!

I think VMware and TrueNAS both already have these features for VMs and containers respectively, and I think this would make Unraid a much more "professional" product, even if most of us are just using it at home.

Over time, as hardware gets cheaper and more accessible, I think more people will end up with multiple old computers that they can use for their home lab. Maybe you have 2 old laptops, or a couple of thin clients you bought in bulk on ebay. These machines can be put to better use in a home lab environment if they can be clustered together.

Just my 2 cents!
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, SxC97 said:

I would like to cast a vote for some kind of clustering or high availability feature.

It probably won't be useful to most people, but I have 3 unraid servers. One networking NUC server thats on a dedicated UPS thats used for the most essential containers and VMs, one storage server that handle most backup and storage tasks, and a hypervisor thats used for running most vms. Having a way to automatically keep the most important VMs and containers up despite the hardware going down for maintenance would be a huge help!

I think VMware and TrueNAS both already have these features for VMs and containers respectively, and I think this would make Unraid a much more "professional" product, even if most of us are just using it at home.

Over time, as hardware gets cheaper and more accessible, I think more people will end up with multiple old computers that they can use for their home lab. Maybe you have 2 old laptops, or a couple of thin clients you bought in bulk on ebay. These machines can be put to better use in a home lab environment if they can be clustered together.

Just my 2 cents!

You may want to look into running Kubernetes VMs across your 3 nodes for this, or I'm not sure, if its possible to run K8s on the Unraid systems themselves.

K8s-on-Unraid-host might be something to aim for perhaps, if Unraid itself could be a K8s worker node. That would bring some interesting high-availability scenarios.

- Get rid of "array" and "pool", make one consistent with a choice of type and file system 

- Get rid of the requirement of one device in the "array", it just wastes licenses in my case

- Make a real cache e.g. for ZFS, wants to make use of my one nvme drive without compromising data 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4