Two disks emulated, one is disabled

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

There's a chance there were some writing activity while the rebuilding was happening...

Went ahead and started array in maintenance mode, and finished data-rebuild, successfully.

Now, when I toggled array without Disk2, trying to stop array results in "Array Stopping • Retry unmounting disk share(s)...", and logs:

Mar 11 21:57:03 Tower root: umount: /mnt/disk1: target is busy.
Mar 11 21:57:03 Tower  emhttpd: shcmd (9142): exit status: 32
Mar 11 21:57:03 Tower  emhttpd: Retry unmounting disk share(s)...

Rebooted, selected the Disk2 again, started array, now it's reconstructing with estimated speed: 3.2 MB/sec, estimated to finish in 60 days 😀

Never had such long estimate before, typically managed to complete parity check within 1-2 days. Should I swap to another drive?

Speed issue must be related to newly connected LSI SATA SAS 9211-8i

Edited by dziewuliz

Was it actually rebuilding when you took those diagnostics? Anything writing to your array while rebuilding?

Probably unrelated, but I've never seen this much used docker.img

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop2     1000G  766G  231G  77% /var/lib/docker

Often 20G docker.img is plenty. I seldom use more than half of 20G running 15 dockers.

You are doing it wrong.

The usual reason for filling docker.img is an application writing to a path that isn't mapped.

Also, you are using a version of Unraid that doesn't tell us which disks your user shares are using, so there may be other things about your configuration that could be improved.

Array was turned on, data rebuilding was paused. I might have had DiskSpeed running (to compare performance for mainboard SATA and LSI HBA speeds) when exporting diagnostics.

Thanks for the callout on docker.img size - will look into that.

Also, you are using a version of Unraid that doesn't tell us which disks your user shares are using

Updating to unRAIDServer-6.11.5...

Edited by dziewuliz
  • Solution
6 hours ago, dziewuliz said:

made system share cache only

Simply changing that setting just controls what it will do with new files, and mover ignores cache:only

You have to set it cache:prefer to get mover to move it to cache.

And nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings so it can be moved.

Also, mover won't replace files, so if anything is already on cache you will have to decide whether to keep those or the system files on disk1.

Install Dynamix File Manager plugin it will let you work with files directly on the server.

What do you get from command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system

and this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system

Sorry for the delay in response - had to take a break from fruitless troubleshooting.

Adding some additional background on what happened prior to the issue:

My previous motherboard had 6 SATA ports (and I have 5 drives), and I switched to a new mb with 4 ports.

My first sata expansion board (15$, purhcased on Amazon) shorted upon powering up - I immediately powered off, got myself a PCIe test card, to check there's any damage to the slot itself - looked good. Since then, I used bought another make of SATA expansion board, new SATA cables and connected the drives, and these problems started.

Currently, I have parity disabled, and upon rebooting shows crc error count 2. it also happens to be the one connected to the expansion card.

What are my options here?

1. Switch to LSI SATA SAS 9211-8i I tried before (albeit at super slow speed).

2. Look for alternative ways to connect the 5th disk

Thanks both - after taking the suggested steps, cleaning up my docker mess, my new LSI controller works full speed, and I was able to rebuild parity without issues this time.

Lesson learned - stick to the recommended LSI SAS controllers, and avoid the inexpensive SATA expansion boards.

@JorgeB let me know your donation link please.

• Like 1