unraid 6.11.5 disk has readable partition in previous lubuntu server but not in unraid

Go to solution Solved by duelistjp,

I have 3 of the 20+ disks that i am trying to move from my old server to unraid that only show a format option in unraid.  in the old computer they mount fine but i notice they don't seem to have a /dev/sdX1 just a /dev/sdX.  i can read the files so they are still there. how can i get these mounted in unraid so i can transfer data off them before i wipe and add them to the array?

• Solution
11 hours ago, apandey said:

/dev/sdX is the disk. /dev/sdX1 is a partition on that disk

What filesystem do the disks have? What type of system did they come from? 

Do you have unassigned devices plug-ins installed on unraid? You need those to mount disks that are not part of unraid array/pools

i was able to use the terminal to mount them if i told it to mount /dev/sdn  there is no /dev/sdn1.  which is what was odd. don't know how it happened but it works in unraid if i mount via the terminal.  will copy them onto the array and then clear them so i guess i can mark it as solved.  no idea why the drives were that way though

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

That means the disk was formatted without a partition, it was using the whole device, that's not supported by the UD plugin.

well i figured out how to mount it using fstab and am currently transferring data off them.  don't know how i did that.  is there a reason UD doesn't support mounting things that way though.  is it just uncommon enough to not be worth doing or is there a reason mounting such drives is bad

51 minutes ago, duelistjp said:

well i figured out how to mount it using fstab and am currently transferring data off them.  don't know how i did that.  is there a reason UD doesn't support mounting things that way though.  is it just uncommon enough to not be worth doing or is there a reason mounting such drives is bad

It's just generally bad practice to not create at least one partition. Linux doesn't require it, but it can have unintended side effects because it's assumed there will be a partition if the drive contains a filesystem.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/685650

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

It's just generally bad practice to not create at least one partition. Linux doesn't require it, but it can have unintended side effects because it's assumed there will be a partition if the drive contains a filesystem.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/685650

makes sense.  certainly wasn't intentional but glad the terminal still works for mounting these as network is slow for transferring 40TB of data