Is one PC enough for unraid, gaming and vms.

dagifted

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and unraid. Please let me if this is in the right category for this question. Anyways I need some thoughtful advice.  I already have unraid setup with the hope of booting from a windows VM; this is already done except I am having issue with audio sometimes.

My question is:

Would my hardware configuration be enough to run unraid, gaming vm ( to play x-plane12 mostly) and run containers) or would it be better to get a separate unraid server.

PS> I am trying to save money, so what's the best bang for the buck

I have the following hardware.

• Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi
  • RAM: 32GB
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC  Black Edition, 8GB GDDR5
  • NVMe: (2) 500 GB + 1TB
  • Drive: (3) Western Digital 6TB WD Red Plus NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD

Take my advise with a grain of salt... but... I lean the the KISS mentality... Keep It Simple Stupid...

While with enough time and effort im sure that you could make your setup work... having a single box do too many things is ill advised...

IMO... buying an old workstation with enough SATA connectors/slots and load unraid on it... maybe 50 bucks shipped

On 3/14/2023 at 10:01 PM, mathomas3 said:

Take my advise with a grain of salt... but... I lean the the KISS mentality... Keep It Simple Stupid...

While with enough time and effort im sure that you could make your setup work... having a single box do too many things is ill advised...

IMO... buying an old workstation with enough SATA connectors/slots and load unraid on it... maybe 50 bucks shipped

Thank you @mathomas3 for responding .I was hoping to save money lol (i'm cheap). Do you have any suggestions for recommended hardware  and/or places to buy them. ebay, I've never used aliexpress but I could try it. 

Also, because I would be running a few vms I was thinking of getting a server level cpu for their quantity of cores if were to go the separate nas box route. Thoughts?

At this low of a price... I would check local craigslist or marketplace... all your looking for is a case/mobo combo that has 3 sata connections on it... nearly anything that you can get your hands on will check that box... even a rasberrypi should be able to handle what you are looking to do (except for the VMs)... 

I would focus your search for an old workstation that has a xeon processor in it... with DDR4 ram if possible... a Full tower

If you can also have a GPU included in the deal, that would be the best possible 

best of luck

• Like 1
On 3/17/2023 at 10:56 PM, dagifted said:

Also, because I would be running a few vms I was thinking of getting a server level cpu for their quantity of cores if were to go the separate nas box route. Thoughts?

If you want to go real cheap, check out ebay for a still very capable refurbished Dell Optiplex workstation.

Look for one with the 6th and up gen. CPU, with 4 cores/8 threads.

Edited by Lolight
  • Like 1