DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED - What is my next move?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Some background..  I've had Unraid for years and loved it.  During that time, I've never had a disk issue.  So I tried to read up on this issue bit, but my smart data looks a bit off.  I am guessing the drive is a goner, can someone confirm?  I think this issue was caused by a large backup being saved to my Unraid NAS from my Windows 10 machine.  It was 7TB and typically takes all day to write to NAS. 

So far, all I've done is download the SMART report from the failing disk and the Unraid diagnostics.  Please see attached. 

Hoping someone can tell me the best next steps to take?  Do I need to replace this disk with a new disk?  

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.  

nas-smart-20230314-1013.zip nas-diagnostics-20230314-1026.zip

Thank you for the guidance. I followed your directions and checked cables.  All seems well.  I rebuilt the data on top of that drive following these directions:  https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

I received a notification that the read check finished with 0 errors.  The disk 2 still states it "Device is disabled, contents emulated".  What would you recommend I try next?

Do I need to replace this drive? 

nas-smart-20230316-0755.zip

I followed the steps in the Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself instructions exactly the first time. It's possible my parity check tuning plugin was causing problems. 

After stopping the array, to try the procedure again, I unassigned the disk, now I can't even see disk 2, can't re-assign it.  Just states "not installed" / "device is missing".  

As far as I can tell, my data seems to all be there.  

Reading through the forum, it looks like next step is to check Disk 2 using the "Check File System Status".  I stopped the array, put it in maintenance mode and started it again.  I used the GUI and ran a check with option "-n".  It reported back:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
superblock read failed, offset 2199023247360, size 131072, ag 2, rval -1

fatal error -- Input/output error

I was hoping it would give me more info than that.  Don't know what to do from here.

NOTE:  I also noticed disk 3 which wasn't having problems before, is now reporting "unmountable disk".  Only happens randomly as a I start and stop the array.  Sometimes it mounts, sometimes it doesn't.  Odd.

image.thumb.png.c88952b73ff4e58df5797590cb039ed7.pngnas-diagnostics-20230319-1549.zip

• 3 months later...

Hello - I received a 'Device is Disabled, Content Emulated' error with a red cross in one of my data disk (disk2). I've followed some of the threads here and replaced my sata cable with a new one and also changed my sata port to a different one in the motherboard. Despite that change I'm still getting the same error. I'm attaching the latest diagnostics.

Please help. Thank you.

dhaka-diagnostics-20230722-1845.zip

Edited by sfaruque

The SMART information for that drive looks OK so the drive is probably OK.   The diagnostics are after a reboot so we can not see what lead up to disk2 being disabled. If it happens again for any reason it is a good idea to take diagnostics before taking any further action.

The 'disabled' state will not be cleared until the drive is rebuilt as described in this section of the online documentation.   The emulated disk2 seems to be mounting properly so as long as its contents look correct you can rebuild the disk onto itself, although if you have a spare drive that is always safer in case the rebuild goes wrong for any reason.

1 minute ago, sfaruque said:

Just a question - is it possible to replace the drive which is 10TB with a 6TB drive (as the drive was only about 45% filled) or rebuild the failed 10TB drive with a couple or more drives that'll total to 10TB?

Unfortunately not.   The rebuild process requires the replacement drive to be at least as large as the drive it replaces.   The rebuild process has no concept of file systems as it works at the raw sector level so it has no idea of how much data was on the drive.

• 5 months later...

I've encountered this same issue and been really reluctant to even take it offline as everything has been working fine, I can even access the data on my disk4 using MC.

Based on the previous reports I have also uploaded my diagnostics and can see no 'disk4' under the SMART logs.

I'm afraid this means a new HDD will be required, but am really hoping not.

citadeltower-diagnostics-20231229-1405.zip