Building Epyc Based Server | Questions About CPU Power

I’m building an Epyc 7302P Supermicro H11SSL-I motherboard and I’m not getting any activity at all. This is my first build with server grade hardware. 

I attach the large motherboard connector and the 8 pin at the top right. I connected the switch pins at the bottom. Installed the 7302P CPU, cooler and RAM (micron 3200mhz registered pc4 memory). No lights, fan spin or anything. 

Is the 4 pin (red circle ️ in photo) required?

Am I missing anything?

1A906EC8-B66C-48C2-A2FF-AB9B316015C9.jpeg

44 minutes ago, primeval_god said:

Almost certainly. While i know nothing about this board in particular I have never known a motherboard with optional ATX power sockets.

I am trying to locate a CPU power cable splitter locally but I might have to order online. 

2 minutes ago, Pstark said:

Do these boards have the long post while it checks the memory?

It's fairly quick, much quicker than my Intel Supermicro boards, it doesn't beep though, I believe the beep is only for CPU overtemp.

1 minute ago, Pstark said:

Does that mean I should plug in pcie power into it from PSU?

No, it's not the same, you could use Molex to 4 PIN, but like mentioned it's not required, I have all PCIe slots occupied and am not using it, but don't have any no GPUs, 3 GPUs alone could use use up to 225W from the PCIe slots.

Is it possible my power supply is the cause?

I canceled my order for the CPU power splitter and contacted Supermicro support and they told me to try reseating the DIMMS and CPU.

I already replaced the CMOS battery and reseated the DIMMS and CPU but I don't have a torque wrench specific for these CPU's. I'm trying to locate one to eliminate that being the cause.

After work I will remove the CPU and inspect pins.

Any further advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Pstark
Added question

Did you

a. Try the board separate from the case, laying on the box it came in if you need to account for pcie card overhang? The antistatic bag it was packaged in is good as a base to be sure it doesn't get damaged.

b. Map out all the case standoffs and be sure they don't touch anything on the bottom of the board?

Also, disconnect all the case LED and switch leads, you don't really need them to run the board, briefly shorting the power switch header should be enough to start things. Remove the RAM as well, so it's just the PSU leads the CPU and CPU fan lead connected, and see if you at least get fan spin.

Is there a power present LED on the motherboard? Does it light up when the PSU has mains voltage? The IPMI portion of the board should be active and working even without the CPU if it's like some of the server boards.

3 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Did you

a. Try the board separate from the case, laying on the box it came in if you need to account for pcie card overhang? The antistatic bag it was packaged in is good as a base to be sure it doesn't get damaged.

b. Map out all the case standoffs and be sure they don't touch anything on the bottom of the board?

Also, disconnect all the case LED and switch leads, you don't really need them to run the board, briefly shorting the power switch header should be enough to start things. Remove the RAM as well, so it's just the PSU leads the CPU and CPU fan lead connected, and see if you at least get fan spin.

Is there a power present LED on the motherboard? Does it light up when the PSU has mains voltage? The IPMI portion of the board should be active and working even without the CPU if it's like some of the server boards.

will try this latter this evening.

7 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Did you

Took the board out and zero activity from board.  Shorted power pins briefly; no lights on board or IPMI no fan spin. Did a bios reset and still no luck. 

6 hours ago, Pstark said:

Took the board out and zero activity from board.  Shorted power pins briefly; no lights on board or IPMI no fan spin. Did a bios reset and still no luck.

10 hours ago, Pstark said:

I forgot to mention that I have a smart plug that measures power usage and it reads 1W while it should be booting.

So back in basic troubleshoot step, check PSU first, unplug all cable, short power on, and check does PSU working.

Or use another mobo to test the PSU.

Edited by Vr2Io
47 minutes ago, Pstark said:

PSU was working when I pulled it from the old setup. I did the short the pins on the mb connector and it powered up fine. 

Can I short the those same pins to power up the PSU while it connected to the board? Will that damage anything?

I wouldn't if it were me. Isolate the PSU, so the only thing connected is the power cord, that way if the PSU is faulty it can't hurt anything else.

image.png.ac8bfae66b0feaa1326d7d0115e74260.png

1 hour ago, Pstark said:

Can I short the those same pins to power up the PSU while it connected to the board? Will that damage anything?

In general, it won't damage anything if PSU in normal condition. The problem for my understanding is mobo haven't turn on the PSU. ( In step 1 or 2 haven't in step 3)

1. PSU provide 5v standby power to mobo.

2. Mobo signal PSU to power on.

3. Mobo got power-good signal from PSU, then perform reset/init/bootong.

Even no CPU RAM, mobo will signal PSU on as usual. So I would suggest you could remove the CPU and RAM.

Edited by Vr2Io

I just spoke with Supermicro tech support and according to them, with just the 24 pin motherboard connected (no CPU or RAM installed) I should get BMC heartbeat led and or IPMI led. 

Just confirms the board is dead…. Sad face 

I suspected this and already ordered a new (not used) board and upgraded to H12SSL for 7003 support if needed.