Hardware failure - upgrade

Hi

is it quite straight forward to recover from simple disk failures and perform upgrades with unraid, and wiki exists.

My question is more about HW failure of the box itself. I have quite a monster server with 20 bays, raid controller, server motherboard and 64 GB RAM

However, today since most of movies and audio I stream from the Netflix and Spotify, I mostly use unRaid for home production and documents backup (I still have 36 TB of archive though)

Anyway, the question is what happens if I decide to scale down and move to a smaller box once the unraid server fails.

What do I with the disks?

I do have CrashPlan Pro for everything, but I never tried it for recovery, honestly I am thinking also to buy some external 18 TB HDD to backup the documents and the home works and keep it with the parents

thanks in advance,

Michael

You just connect the disks to another computer, Unraid is mostly hardware agnostic, this might be a problem though:

1 hour ago, michael123 said:

raid controller

If it's really a RAID controller disks might not work correctly on a different one, one of the reasons RAID controllers are not recommended.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You just connect the disks to another computer, Unraid is mostly hardware agnostic, this might be a problem though:

If it's really a RAID controller disks might not work correctly on a different one, one of the reasons RAID controllers are not recommended.

Given there are no disk failure, I can connect the disks one by one right and copy its contents..? 

Sijce current capacity of HD drives, I believe the new server will be much smaller

Re: Raid controller, that's Adaptec HBA SATA/SAS.. Sorry