Parity & Disk Errors

Hi all,

Never had any disk errors before apart from cache had a few but still fine. Never any on my array discs. Not sure if it's related but I upgraded to 6.12.0-rc2 a few days ago. Had some files on my cache so evoked mover and then loads of errors came up on Parity disk 1 and now disk 4. Not sure if it's related to the update.

All my array disks are WD Reds.

It's just doing a read test now and looks like it's going to take a few hours but have attached logs for both disks now as at first, it was just disk 1. Also attached are the diagnostics logs.

Cheers

WDC_WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0_7HKA9XBJ-20230321-0231.txt WDC_WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0_7SK7KX7W-20230321-0242.txt tower-diagnostics-20230321-0246.zip

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 02.50.43.png

Edited by jazzy192
added disk 4
  • jazzy192 changed the title to Parity & Disk Errors
28 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Not sure what you are asking, for the SMART tests, if you want run them do and then check the results, or post new diags, before or after that the disks must be rebuilt:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

I just didn't know what the steps were to do after checking the cable etc and after memtest, like how do I find out if it's okay or not?

There were some CRC error errors on one of my cache drives that started about a year ago. Nothing changed so carried on as normal (probably not a wise move). It's only now that problems happened. I doubt this would have caused it but. deleted a couple of files (ISO's) off the cache before pressing mover last night when the error occurred. 

Edited by jazzy192
10 minutes ago, jazzy192 said:

I just didn't know what the steps were to do after checking the cable etc and after memtest, like how do I find out if it's okay or not?

If memtest finds errors there's a RAM problem, if it doesn't there could still be issues, but not much more you can do other than replacing the RAM or trying again.

11 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If memtest finds errors there's a RAM problem, if it doesn't there could still be issues, but not much more you can do other than replacing the RAM or trying again.

I checked it over and reseated the RAM, checked the cables etc and nothing looked out of place. It's been running for about 7 hours now after using the UEFI version without any errors.

Shall I keep it going overnight or boot it into Unraid now and see the logs?

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Boot Unraid, run a correcting scrub on the pool and post the results.

Hey, I ended up leaving it running till this morning and no errors.

It's just running Scrub now on the Cache Pool and picked up some errors already:

UUID:             7de0f47c-9d8a-4d24-b8c2-aab8c2c616f9
Scrub started:    Wed Mar 22 13:22:48 2023
Duration:         0:01:50
Time left:        0:03:48
ETA:              Wed Mar 22 13:28:26 2023
Total to scrub:   347.74GiB
Bytes scrubbed:   112.94GiB  (32.48%)
Rate:             1.03GiB/s
Error summary:    csum=6
  Corrected:      0
  Uncorrectable:  6
  Unverified:     0

16 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Check the syslog once it's finished, corrupt files will be listed there, those need to be deleted/restored from a backup, then run a new scrub to confirm zero errors.

Attached are the logs, going to have a read through myself also. Yes, there is nothing on the cache I want to keep I dont think, docker, appdata etc are all on a separate SSDs or M.2.

tower-diagnostics-20230322-1416.zip

Right, all done now and deleted and have run scrub with no errors. Next up is the Parity disc right? Rebuild which first? The Parity or the Array Disk?

UUID:             7de0f47c-9d8a-4d24-b8c2-aab8c2c616f9
Scrub started:    Wed Mar 22 14:32:01 2023
Duration:         0:00:19
Total to scrub:   2.00GiB
Rate:             1.06GiB/s
Error summary:    no errors found

Edited by jazzy192
11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can rebuild both at the same time:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

For the pool see here on how to reset the errors and to better monitoring the pool, if new errors appear there's still a problem.

Cheers, I was just finishing that when noticed my array discs have moved around. Is that normal? I cannot put the same disk back in Parity one as the only one unassigned after assigning the other back is already in the array compared to my last screenshot?!

11 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Don't see how, but post new diags, in the last ones they were still assigned as the first screenshot.

Honesty Jorge, I have no reason to mix them up! It Paused rebuilding to do a read check, shall I let that complete or rebuild firsT?