ZFS Array with SSD

Stixbnr32

I have a Dell PE R630 with 256gb of ECC Memory and 2x Xeons (48cores) I am testing with as a second unraid box with 6.12rc2. 

What I want to acheive with ZFS is running an array of SSD as i only have 8x 2.5" bays and would like to run with no cache pools.  ZFS i understand can trim SSD arrays fine.

Will this now be a supported config on Unraid or should i go 5400rpm 2.5" and 2 SSD Cache drives (not what i want).

Many Thanks.

TRIM is not supported in the Unraid array, but has always been supported in pools e.g. Cache pool.
ZFS when used in the traditional sense (pools), supports TRIM already.

ZFS can be used in the Unraid array as single disks filesystems, which loses most features people want from ZFS so isn't common, and in this scenario TRIM is not currently supported.

Until a later release where the concept of pools and array gets a shake up, the workaround is to create a token device in the array, such as a usb disk, and utilise a pool for zfs, just make sure you update your share preferences to Cache only so data stays there.

My personal favourite version of the technique is to add a HDD to the array and use this as a backup target.

Edited by tjb_altf4

Yeah currently on my lets call "prod" PC (not xeon just AMD ryzen) I have two cache pools i use for speed with things like Docker and VMs set to prefer.  Its all good but i was hoping to avoid this and just use the Array.

OK that answers my question - the ZFS ARC Caching seems to work well with read speeds on data accessed alot anyway.  This server is about to double in memory to about 500gb so should have plent there for ZFS to use.

In this way Docker and VM's should be loaded into memory with a copy on the array - this should be fast right?