Help with Device is disabled, contents emulated. (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi have one disk with a Device is Disabled, content emulated.

The were some errors that made the UDMA_CRC_Error_Count went up to 5 but it also reported 1026 write errors. I've read this is likely due to sata cable rather than the disk itself.

I run an extended SMART test and it came back reporting no errors (attached to the post) so I stoped the array, removed the disk, rebooted and readded the disk and started the array.

At this point I was expecting the disk to be rebuilt. Unfortunately upon starting the array again the disk went straight to "disabled, contents emulated", attributes and capabilities on the disk now appear empty and the array seems to have gone into a "Read Check". I'm not able to stop the array and I'm not clear on what's going on.

Any recommendation on what to do? I assume I must let the read check finish and then ... will the disk be reconstructed from parity? Should I just go ahead and replace the disk immediately or will the system recover after the "read check"? Can someone advise on the result of the test?

Edit: I've added the syslog which seems to indicate the drive is still failing on write. This is obviously very concerning but I'm wondering if next step should be to replace the SATA cable (given the SMART report seems to be fine) or if I should simply buy a new disk. BTW, this has happened shortly (about two days) after I moved the drives to a different location on my case.

Additional question, if I get a new disk (it would be another 18TB), what process should I follow to replace the failing disk given I can't stop the array right now due to that "read check"? Once it finishes should I stop the array, remove disk 4 and replace it with the new disk?

For information my system is Unraid 6.11.5 with 4 disks of 8TB (one of them the one that failed), 2 disks of 3TB and 1 parity drive of 18TB + 1 500GB SSD cache disk.

image.thumb.png.71d74bb963338e74df06334a8e762799.png

image.thumb.png.f6c6458d9f0ba23959112d134c9dbacf.png

image.png.4b46a4b4304b067a59bd0b1f5faa01a0.png

Thanks for any help or advice!

vanaheim-smart-20230321-2240.zip

vanaheim-syslog-20230322-0055.zip

vanaheim-diagnostics-20230322-1149.zip

Edited by chaos.cs
13 minutes ago, chaos.cs said:

Hi @JorgeB

That link is under maintenance so I'm not sure what is required. I've attached the system log and the smart extended result test. What else can I get?

Thanks

You can get the diagnostics zip file either via Tools->Diagnostics in the GUI, or by using the 'diagnostics' command from a console session.  That zip file contains the logs, the SMART information for all drives plus a lot of configuration information to help with diagnosing problems.

• chaos.cs changed the title to Help with Device is disabled, contents emulated. (SOLVED)