New motherboard

Hi All,

So about 8mths ago I built my first unraid setup, and everything was going great. I moved house, got the server setup again - happy days.

That lasted 1 night though, and then the server was dead. Motherboard tried to start, but just died. Tried multiple PSU's, nothing. Eventually it didn't even try to kick over.

So I sent it back with the CPU and memory, and I finally heard today that when they tried to power it up, it caught fire! Yep, fire! It happened right near the RAM, so its gone as well.

The board in question was the MSI Pro Z690-A Wi-Fi DDR5 Motherboard. I'm going to change brands after hearing what happened.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a M/B that can handle an Intel 13th Gen i7, DDR5, NVME drives, and has about 6 SATA ports.

Any suggestions?

22 hours ago, Kronos1979 said:

So I'm looking for recommendations for a M/B that can handle an Intel 13th Gen i7, DDR5, NVME drives, and has about 6 SATA ports.

I understand your desire to switch brands after experiencing a MB failure.

You might try any of the other major MB brands, such as Asus, ASRock and Gigabyte.

I think this article provides a pretty good overview of the market:

https://www.cgdirector.com/best-motherboard-brands/