Replace single cache drive

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

I just went through a process to replace all of the drives in my unraid machine, one at a time.  Everything went great until i switched out my cache drive for an SSD.   Yeah, I was yet familiar with the appdata stuff on the cache drive and after a little bit of messing with it, I replaced my old drive and got all of my data back.

So first of all, I am on the latest version of unraid.  My machine has no open slots so I cannot add to the pool, then remove the old one.  I have the CA Backup / Restore appdata plugin, with a current backup (did not back up libvirt with it).  The new drive was already formatted with btrfs and had an appdata, but it is new and has all of my plugins default configs.  Nothing of my actual config.

So, my question, and yes I have been reading the forums a BUNCH:

What is the most straight forward way to replace this drive?

Do I just stop the array, replace the cache drive, and then after starting the array run the CA Backup / Restore to restore the appdata?   Should I do another backup first to include the libvirt?  I didnt find any explicit way to do this cache drive replacement using this plugin.  But its very existence is for cache disks failing.

Do I change the all of the cache settings run the mover, stop the array, replace the drive, and restart the array?  I'll admit this one confuses me a bit I dont yet understand the cache settings on the shares and such.

Or something else?  I've read several ways, and just want to make sure I do it the right way this time.