Almost out of space on 10 year old build - Upgrade Path Suggestions

anoobis

Hey long time unraid user here. I think I'm in a bit of a pickle, I believe I'm maxed out on drives and I'm quickly running out of space and I need to convert 3 drives from reiserfs. To further complicate things, my situation has changed a bit, and so have the requirements for this build.

- I'm looking for something that will basically just run Unraid + a few docker containers (plex, sonarr, etc)

- Able to do 4k transcoding of minimum 1, ideally, 2 streams

- ideally looking to scale down form factor and keep power consumption low

Here's my original build thread it's largely unchanged, including the flashed IBM M1015 card and current array: 

image.thumb.png.15d5213c754af47a9637e2901c663252.png

My current thoughts:

- Upgrade to newer Intel with iGPU? Xeon?

- Upgrade to 3x 8TB WD Red? or 2x 12TB Red? 

- Fractal Node 304

Where I'm lost:
- Migration Path e.g. how do I go from 7 disks to 4 without losing my data
- Parity?

- M2 Cache?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Since you are seriously thinking about all new parts, my suggestion would be to build the new server without using ANY of the current parts so you can leave it running. Spin up the new server with a trial license, copy your data and such over the network, then when the new box is fully running as you like, either transfer the configuration to your licensed USB stick, or purchase a new license and use the old box as backup, only powering it up to do data copies when desired.

If you can leave the old build untouched it will greatly reduce the chances of data loss.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1