Split Level should take effect on existing data

Currently: When changing the split level of an existing share with data on it, only new files that are transfered to this share are being split up the way they should. Data which existed on the share before the split level change arent effected and will stay where they are. 

How it should be: When I do change the split level setting of any share, all files (already existing files and files that will be transfered to this share in the future) should be effected and then be splitted up correctly.

Why should this be: because working with unbalance, or moving files manually with mc or krusader is very complicated and it comes with a few problems. Also you need to think about it very much to plan everything correctly.

How: Maybe an extension plugin for the mover? Or implement it to the mover?

Edited by EricM
changed Title

if this is the philosophy, then there should be at least a setting that i can decide if my current data is effected by a setting i do change, or if only future data is effected. Or an plugin for the mover as described. So everyone can decide on its own if current data is also effected.

• EricM changed the title to Split Level should take effect on existing data

This would be an amazing addition to Unraid.  I find it very cumbersome the way settings only affect new files.  This makes any change to drive paths so painful and involves lots of error prone cleanup.  Offering an option to apply changes to all current files or not would be great.

• Like 1

Until you make an accidental change in your settings and realize your moving 2TB of data and are upset you machine is taking forever to move said files and can't stop it. 

I know I over exaggerated some there, but things happen and keeping things simple in my humble opinion has always been astrong suit of unraids design. 

8 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

In any case, I do not want the system to arbitrarily move or delete files without my prompt.

Yeah, and therefore there should be an option to decide if existing data is affected or not. I dont think this would be to hard to implement. And with every Mover Schedule your system moves your data.

2 hours ago, hal90001 said:

This would be an amazing addition to Unraid.  I find it very cumbersome the way settings only affect new files.  This makes any change to drive paths so painful and involves lots of error prone cleanup.  Offering an option to apply changes to all current files or not would be great.

I do share your opinion 100%

and as I said maybe implement it in such a way, that you can decide if existing data is moved or not.

You can't just have a checkbox to move or not, it's not as simple as that. If you have folders on multiple drives which ones should be moved where? How do you deal with available space/lack thereof? What if files are links?

Way too many scenarios to make something that "just figures it out", everything you say is complicated to do yourself is stuff you do have to take decisions about. 

That would be really complex functionality / UI that would probably have to be developed as a separate plugin akin to Unbalance.

Edited by Kilrah
51 minutes ago, kizer said:

Until you make an accidental change in your settings and realize your moving 2TB of data and are upset you machine is taking forever to move said files and can't stop it. 

I know I over exaggerated some there, but things happen and keeping things simple in my humble opinion has always been astrong suit of unraids design. 

Ohohoh, u do not need to tell me a thing about making accidential changes xD I am a master in this disciplin, and all the problems i had before, just because Unraid is NOT as simple as u are tellin (maybe just bcs i dont have an knowledge on servers), are way worse than some days waiting bcs your data is moved to another disk. xD

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

You can't just have a checkbox to move or not, it's not as simple as that. If you have folders on multiple drives which ones should be moved where? How do you deal with available space/lack thereof? What if files are links?

Way too many scenarios to make something that "just figures it out", everything you say is complicated to do yourself is stuff you do have to take decisions about. 

I do have so much trust in the developers of Unraid! They made this masterpiece called Unraid, they made this forum with all those helping hands, so I do think they are way competend enough to figure out a way to eventually master this :)

1 minute ago, EricM said:

I do have so much trust in the developers of Unraid! They made this masterpiece called Unraid, they made this forum with all those helping hands, so I do think they are way competend enough to figure out a way to eventually master this :)

As mentioned previously this precisely goes directly against Unraid's general design.

Plugins like Unbalance which would probably be how something like this would be done have been developed by the community.