Parity Check After Power Outage

Hello. What have I configured wrong? 

My power goes out about 4 times a month. It's horrible. I have an APC UPS model: BR1000G.

Every time the power goes out, when I power things back on, a parity check is always started. 

Untitled.thumb.png.7f42fe186cfb5fb973bbe474a3d2c067.png

Today when the power went out, I checked the server and it was still on because of the UPS. Then shut off like 10-15 minutes later. I assumed it did a proper shut down. I was wrong I guess. 

Edit: The "Time left on battery before shutdown" is set to 15 here, but in the past it's been disabled (set to 0) and the same thing occurs. 

Thank you. 

tower-diagnostics-20230401-1251.zip

Edited by Cupid

Are you watching if your server actually shuts down before the UPS runs out of battery power?  Pull the plug on your UPS and watch what your server does you should see it shutdown, that's what mine does and then I have the bios set to always start backup when power is restored

Edited by MyKroFt

I just tested that. I unplugged the UPS and ran a few dockers to put a load on the CPU to run down the battery faster. 

I was logged into the gui and it said the UPS is below threshold and is shutting down. 

I now have it set to 65% batter and 35 minutes. 0 for the seconds on battery. 

I restarted it and there was no parity check. So that's good. 

Maybe I had the settings wrong?

Could it be that the UPS/Unraid is being tricked during a power outage since the power usually flickers for a few seconds before actually cutting out?

• 9 months later...

Sorry for hijacked thread, but i have related question about s3 sleep and power outage. If my pc is in s3 state and power get lost, when power gets restored unraid start parrity check. Now since system was in s3 parrity must be good since server was not in use, can i stop parrity check when it start and expect that i can recover data if disk go bad before next full parrity check

41 minutes ago, Doktor-X said:

Sorry for hijacked thread, but i have related question about s3 sleep and power outage. If my pc is in s3 state and power get lost, when power gets restored unraid start parrity check. Now since system was in s3 parrity must be good since server was not in use, can i stop parrity check when it start and expect that i can recover data if disk go bad before next full parrity check

I do not think this is true as parity would only be completely valid if Unraid unmounted the array before the sleep which I do not think happens with S3 sleep?   I think it is just as if the system crashed while otherwise idle.

It is true that any parity corrections are likely to be near the front of the disk so it likely safe to cancel the parity check after it has run for a few minutes but not guaranteed.

23 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I do not think this is true as parity would only be completely valid if Unraid unmounted the array before the sleep which I do not think happens with S3 sleep?   

So maybe then ill need to see if i can automate all of that, so that when you run s3 command, unraid first stop array and then go to sleep. (to prevent for system starting parrity check if power is lost in s3 state)I have some old "C-Lion Blazer 1000 VA Vista" ups but i dont use it since it uses like 45W when battery is full, and its just ready on main power in its "inline" state without any load. So i think this i high. Maybe some newer stuff consume 10-20W i dont know?

Edited by Doktor-X