Plex Media Server plugin for unRAID (v0.3 - Aug 7 2011)

Great work! Install went fine. After a server restart, Plex does not start automatically. I did a test run of the "/boot/custom/plex/plex.sh &> /dev/null & | at now + 1 minute" command from the terminal and got this error:  -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `|'

Also, the icon for "Plex Media Server" is not showing up in the Utils menu. Using the latest Simple features plug in.

I had to add "installpkg /boot/custom/plex-0.1-i386-unRAID.tgz" in my go script if using "/usr/local/plex/" as the install directory since that resides in memory.

I used the following configuration:

Installed Directory: /usr/local/plex/

Application Support Directory: /mnt/cache/Apps/Plex/Library/

Temp Folder: /mnt/cache/tmp/

A few things

1) Try adding this line instead in your /boot/config/go (this SHOULD work.. let me know).

/boot/custom/plex.sh &> /dev/null |& at now + 1 minute

2) Add the .tgz to /boot/extra so that it gets installed. The alternative is to use the "Light" version and manually install plex on your cache drive or your array. It's up to you. There should be no reason to do an "installpkg" in your go. There shouldn't be too many repercussions running Plex in memory as nothing really gets written to the install dir (it all goes into the Application Support dir).

Let me know!

Stokes, I downloaded plex-0.2-i386-unRAID.tgz and copied it to flash/extra and all is working. PMS icon shows up in Utils and it automatically start up with the new code that you have provided. Thank you very much!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since the other Plex thread appears to be dead, I'll ask here. What kind of processor is needed for Plex? I've only seen recommendations for "dual core". I have parts on the way for my first UnRAID server, and I'm running Plex on my Windows desktop now, and it would be nice, but not necessary to run Plex on UnRAID.

Specifically, will Plex run on the AMD Athlon II X2 245E with 4GB of RAM? What are your UnRAID specs and how does Plex run?

Since the other Plex thread appears to be dead, I'll ask here. What kind of processor is needed for Plex? I've only seen recommendations for "dual core". I have parts on the way for my first UnRAID server, and I'm running Plex on my Windows desktop now, and it would be nice, but not necessary to run Plex on UnRAID.

Specifically, will Plex run on the AMD Athlon II X2 245E with 4GB of RAM? What are your UnRAID specs and how does Plex run?

Mine is a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2Gb ram. It will happily play multiple blu ray rips to various clients. PMS can be a bit slow on the browser, but it doesn't affect browsing via Plex clients.

Awesome work!

Is anyone running this also running SABnzbd and Sickbeard? I seem to have an issue where PMS process just dies. Not sure if its the install, or something caused by SABnzbd and Sickbeard. I'm gonna try with this package and see what happens.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just wondering if anyone else has seen this whilst testing PMS?

I am running all three (PMS, Sickbeard, SAB) and even a few more things in the background without any issues. What is probably happening is that the PMS process is writing temp files to your root directory (/tmp) which is only as big as your USB flash. It may be running out of room, causing it to crap out.

If you run this plugin and configure your tmp somewhere on your array (or even better, your cache drive in like /mnt/cache/.tmp), it's one way to alleviate this issue (not saying it'll fix it, but won't hurt).

Sorry for chiming in on this so many posts later (and in this thread since the other was deprecated), but I have begun to notice the same problem as well.  My setup seems to be rock solid, minus Plex just quitting on me.  All directories are located on my cache drive.  The logs don't (appear to be any) help in tracking down the problem.  Sab and SB continue to run, it's just Plex.  Strange for sure.

Edited: Oh, and it doesn't happen while I'm using it, so it's when Plex is doing one of its normal routines, I guess.

For me it has always coincided after I've downloaded something via Sickbeard and SAB, I'll try again later and keep an eye out.

As for the Plex Plugin, I've got it up and running but it certainly scans alot slower than when ran of the cache drive. Its also not getting artwork this time either. Anyone else not getting artwork on the scan?

An example from the Media Scanner log. Apart from the 'Loaded Memeory Image' lines, it looks ok though.

Aug 04, 2011 17:57:28 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Updating metadata item (Seven) with ID 138
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:29 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - HTTP request to: http://127.0.0.1:32400/:/metadata/notify/updateProgress?metadataItemID=138
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:29 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - [iD 523] Media part analysis: /mnt/user/movies/Seabiscuit (2003)/Seabiscuit (2003).mkv
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:30 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG -  * 79851f1701a921c86a167c66a765914738ea043c [matroska,webm vc1/dca] Duration: 8425000ms, 1920x1080 (1.777778) 23.976fps, bitrate=3072kbps, audio channels=6, optimizedForStreaming=0 (/mnt/user/movies/Seabiscuit (2003)/Seabiscuit (2003).mkv)
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:30 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Refreshing media streams for part 523
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:30 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Updating media item 520, size=31240115736, metadata_item_id=520
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:30 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Updating part with ID=523 [/mnt/user/movies/Seabiscuit (2003)/Seabiscuit (2003).mkv]
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:34 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Loaded memory image of size 1920x1080
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:35 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Loaded memory image of size 1920x1080
Aug 04, 2011 17:57:35 [0xb53a7b70] DEBUG - Creating /mnt/disk1/plex/Plex Media Server/Media/localhost/7/9851f1701a921c86a167c66a765914738ea043c.bundle/Contents/Thumbnails/

At First let me say thank you for the great work you did!

Is there a way to select the default order of the scrapers? I can see that all metadata agents are installed, but only 3 are showing up in the browser and Freedb is the default agent. I would like to see MoviePilot As default or having it at least in the list. It would be great if this could be added to the configuration.

Or let me know if I Misses something.

Regards Athu

P.s. Would it be possible to share the project, so we would be able to make such good Plugins also for Subsonic or Twonky?

Ok - for whatever reason PMS would not pick up poster art when installed on the array, it was also slow viewing when viewing the library from Plex clients. Playback was fine though.

Reinstalled PMS on to the cache drive and it works fine, i.e. poster art, faster browsing on Plex clients.

Anyone else had issue with poster art when installed on the array?

Thank you Stokkes verry nice work!  ;)

I have one Suggestion:

can you add this "shell_exec('su nobody -c "/boot/custom/plex/plex.sh &> /dev/null &"');" in your Plex.php for the "Start" Button.

Maybe configurable in the user.conf file.

Because I don't like to run software as root.

I have made this changes at the moment, but I don't know exactly how the Plugin system works. Do I have to do this every time I restart my server. Or is one time enough.

Thanks, spidi

Thank you Stokkes verry nice work!  ;)

I have one Suggestion:

can you add this "shell_exec('su nobody -c "/boot/custom/plex/plex.sh &> /dev/null &"');" in your Plex.php for the "Start" Button.

Maybe configurable in the user.conf file.

Because I don't like to run software as root.

I have made this changes at the moment, but I don't know exactly how the Plugin system works. Do I have to do this every time I restart my server. Or is one time enough.

Thanks, spidi

Funny you mention this. I was contemplating adding an extra configuration field for "Run As".. I'll release an update sometime over the weekend with this included.

I installed the light script and pointed it at the various directories and clicked "Save Configuration".  That crashed the unraid web interface (the page never loaded).  I restarted and the web interface came back to life, but when I click on the Plex plugin in Utils, it crashed again.

When I say crashes - I mean that the webpage sits "Waiting for 10.x.x.x" but the page never loads.  I cannot access any pages on the interface.  Other web-based applications (SAB, Sickbeard, unmenu, etc.) however work.

Any ideas (running 5.0b10)?  No syslog errors.

Thank you

Great plugin! Works perfectly, Except I cannot get it to auto start. I have added this below to my /boot/config/go file. Any ideas?

You copied wrong. The echo part needs to be in the go file as well. It needs to be something like this inside the go file:

echo "/boot/custom/plex.sh >/dev/null 2>&1" | at now +1 minute

Great plugin! Works perfectly, Except I cannot get it to auto start. I have added this below to my /boot/config/go file. Any ideas?

You copied wrong. The echo part needs to be in the go file as well. It needs to be something like this inside the go file:

Thanks BRit, I do not know how i missed that.

I installed the light script and pointed it at the various directories and clicked "Save Configuration".  That crashed the unraid web interface (the page never loaded).  I restarted and the web interface came back to life, but when I click on the Plex plugin in Utils, it crashed again.

When I say crashes - I mean that the webpage sits "Waiting for 10.x.x.x" but the page never loads.  I cannot access any pages on the interface.  Other web-based applications (SAB, Sickbeard, unmenu, etc.) however work.

Any ideas (running 5.0b10)?  No syslog errors.

Thank you

The only thing I can think of is that it's trying to create one (or more) of the folders and can't for whatever reason. After you've clicked "Save Configuration", can you go see if the folders you set (specifically Application Support and Temporary folders) were created?

I will add some logging in the next version I'll release this weekend.

The only thing I can think of is that it's trying to create one (or more) of the folders and can't for whatever reason. After you've clicked "Save Configuration", can you go see if the folders you set (specifically Application Support and Temporary folders) were created?

I will add some logging in the next version I'll release this weekend.

I already had Plex installed, so the folders were already created.

Thanks BRit, I do not know how i missed that.

That actually still does not work. Anyone else successfully got auto start working?