Plex Media Server plugin for unRAID (v0.3 - Aug 7 2011)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The current version of Plex is v0.9.5.2. Is that the version included in the full version?

Hi,

some of you had asked for the latest version of plex.

I compiled one attached.

It's Stokkes plugin with latest version attached. It works great for me. Use at your own risk, i won't offer any support for it.

This can be used until Stokkes releases an updated version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8439332/plex-0.9.5.1.tgz

I think no is the answer you're looking for.  ;D

Cheers.

For anyone who is using Plex + Roku ... if you want actual 5.1 sound then you need a Roku 2 and then go to this thread http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/32835-51-fix-for-roku2/ to find a test version of the Plex-Roku app (installed via developer mode, instructions given).

I just did it and it works great.  Now I can stream 5.1 HD from my UnRaid-Plex to my Roku 2.

Also, fwiw, you also get 5.1 in Netflix now.  

Very annoyed that roku has not delivered on 5.1 in the Roku 1, but whatever.  Loving it now.

Can anyone help me get Plex installed?  ??? I'm totally baffled, I honestly thought this would be the easy bit of building my first unRaid, especially since the install is "is easy, just drop".

Last time I looked at Linux was Mandrake many years ago and since it went without a hitch I learned......nothing.

First off I'm not understanding why the links given in this thread refer to .tgz files and when I download them they are .tar?

I have tried extracting them and not extracting them to my flash/extra folder. I have tried rebooting the server but the plex icon never appears. I have tried the telnet method to installpkg but I get told the file must end in .tgz.

Since it must be something really basic I am missing, I am expecting scorn, please heap it on but please educate me !!  :-*

I built a fresh server with 4.7 then upgraded it to 5b14 when I read that plex needed 5b10.

Thanks

Ok I'm glad nobody dignified that with a reply. Just tried renaming .tar to .tgz and all works.  ::)

Errr, not as you think.

The tar files, from the Plex site, are completely different animals than the tgz files from here, and are NOT interchangeable.

The tgz files, are specially constructed install files for a Slackware system, which unRaid is, and will put all the files in the correct locations.

A tar file is just a compressed copy of files, and will extract the files to the directory you happen to be in, when you unpack them.

Check my other post on this, a couple of pages back.

Cheers.

I just compiled it;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8439332/plex.0.9.5.2.tgz

Once again, i can't offer any support for this but it works great on my Unraid 5b14

Thanks for this flixxx...  

I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with plex detecting new media using this package.  I'm using 5.0b9 so the mtime of the user share should be working correctly.  

I've already tried checking/unchecking the boxes to sort of reset the configuration.  Right now I have it set to automatically detect new shows/movies.  I'm going to switch to scanning every 15min to test that.

Any thoughts?

Update: After forcing a deep scan (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/26729-deep-scan/), the inotify seems to be working.

Little update,

I'm a bit hesitant to release a new version of this plugin until the Plex guys fix the reason why PlexMediaServer crashes so damn often on our unRaid setups. It's gotten to the point for me that the girlfriend is getting mighty pissed when PMS crashes in the middle of watching one of her shows. Even though I have a cron job to check every 5 minutes if it crashes and then restart PMS, it's still a bit baffling as to why this hasn't been fixed yet.

I'm almost tempted to setup a ubuntu VM just for PMS.

For now though, you can continue to use 0.3 (light version) and just download the new tarballs from the official Plex website. As soon as the fix comes, I'll definitely release a new version. Right  now, I've gotten tons of emails about why Plex is crashing when it's not even my fault yet people blame the plugin because it doesn't happen on other Linux distros.

Cheers,

dang that sucks.  I know it doesn't help much but I'm not having any crashes with the Tofurkey plug-in version.  Doesn't even seem like I have a memory leak.  If I do it is reeeeallll slow.

I have the library on a "cache only" share (not a hidden folder but a share created with the cache only option) and Temp is in /tmp

dang that sucks.  I know it doesn't help much but I'm not having any crashes with the Tofurkey plug-in version.  Doesn't even seem like I have a memory leak.  If I do it is reeeeallll slow.

I have the library on a "cache only" share (not a hidden folder but a share created with the cache only option) and Temp is in /tmp

You haven't had any crashes since 0.9.5.2?

Nope. But my up time right now is only a few days at this point,  maybe a week.  But I have mucked about a lot with my library trying to get meta data right and I've streamed about 10 or so hours of transcoded media to roku.

Also 9.5.2 is my first plex install so I have nothing to compare to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I haven't had any crashes since 0.9.5.2, either (I'm using the version from post #152 in this thread). I've been using it regularly since I installed the new version December 4th - our clients include a Roku box and PleXBMC on a Windows computer. We use it at least a couple hours a day, I would guess. Our UnRAID version is beta 12.

Doesn't the release notes for 0.9.5.2 (http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/11/28/plex-media-server-v0-9-5-2-tofurky-edition/) specify that they fixed a crash related to Automatic Scanning on Linux? I think this is what I was seeing.

I'm fleshing out an idea that will help those experiencing crashes. It's obviously not a fix (that has to come from the devs), but it'll be a "decent" work-around.

I've been real busy with real life but I'm hoping to work on something over the holidays. Still figuring out how I'm going to code this.

I'm fleshing out an idea that will help those experiencing crashes. It's obviously not a fix (that has to come from the devs), but it'll be a "decent" work-around.

I've been real busy with real life but I'm hoping to work on something over the holidays. Still figuring out how I'm going to code this.

I have been running v0.9.5.1-56298e9 since Nov 27th without a single crash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it's OK to post in this thread. The plugin works just great with my clients on mac mini's. Recently tried to get this to work on my ATV2, with 4.4.4, seas0npass jailbreak and the Plex client for ATV (0.9.0 BETA 4, from here). Plex on my ATV will show my library and I can even select my content, but it will not play ("An error occurred loading this content"). I'm rather new to ATV and was wondering whether anybody has been able to get a similar combo to work. Thanks!

edit: fwiw, it seems there are more issues with ATV 4.4.4 and Plex. Setting up a (PMS) server on my iMac gives me the "regular" audio issues as reported on the Plex forums. These issues are not "unRAID-PMS" related. In addition, I think there is a problem with getting the content from an unRAID powered PMS environment to the ATV. I will wait to see ATV 4.4.4 to get stable with a Mac powered PMS to test how this could work unRAID.