Plex Media Server plugin for unRAID (v0.3 - Aug 7 2011)

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the read but after a quick browse I cannot see it. Two of my drives, parity and data 1 are not spinning down at all ever since installing Plex. Is there anyway to sort this out or even just reduce it?

Where did you point the 3 folders in the Plex settings.

Ch

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Bagpuss: check if you have error messages in your scanner log file like these:

UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'xc0' in position 48: ordinal not in range(128)

if yes, add these lines to your plex.sh

export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

I do indeed have 5 messages like this in the log. Will try adding those lines and will report back later.

Thanks.

Happy to say that adding the locale stuff fixes the problem.

Thanks!

Hmmm. Maybe that's what's happening to me.  Only 1 of my 20 drive array is spinning down these days.  In my log it doesn't appear that the system even attempts to spin down the other drives.  I am also using Cache_Dirs to minimize drive spin up, but it seems like something else is going on.  Maybe I should turn off update library on changes and see if that improves things...

I did that but it seems to make no difference, luckily it only leaves two disks spun up but it's certainly reducing the awesomeness of UNRAID if the disks don't spin down.

Yeah, this is a problem for me, 19 of my 20 disks don't spin down now...  Even with a manual spindown they spin up in seconds...

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the read but after a quick browse I cannot see it. Two of my drives, parity and data 1 are not spinning down at all ever since installing Plex. Is there anyway to sort this out or even just reduce it?

Ch

I think that a screenie is the easiest here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6653462/Server-Plex.png

Ch

I think that a screenie is the easiest here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6653462/Server-Plex.png

Well, you are using a directory in the array to hold all the Plex libraries, logs, and temporary space, and so have files currently open.  I'm not sure if it would actually take writes, to stop the spin down, or if just having a file open, in an active process would cause this.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

So I installed Plex on my unRAID server and so far (haven't gotten my Apple TV yet, comes today) i love it. I have a question though regarding the Plex data files and where to store them. I currently have it set to store them on my only 7200rpm drive which also is pretty much empty. I don't really like the idea of the drives not spinning down, but i would also like all the data to be somewhat protected. I have an older Hitachi 750GB 7200rpm drive laying around. If i install that as a cache drive and store the files there, then i can just back those files up to the array weekly or daily or whatever,  that would allow the array drives to spin down correct?

Since the old Plex thread has transitioned to here, I figured I'd post my experience with the new version of PMS for unRAID, though I am not utilizing this plugin.

When I launched PMS via the start.sh script within a telnet session, it appeared that I wasn't experiencing the growing memory issue.  When I launched it via my go script (calling start.sh), I see the memory leak (it was up to about 1.5 GB this morning).  I'm going to try this again after work to confirm.

Since the old Plex thread has transitioned to here, I figured I'd post my experience with the new version of PMS for unRAID, though I am not utilizing this plugin.

When I launched PMS via the start.sh script within a telnet session, it appeared that I wasn't experiencing the growing memory issue.  When I launched it via my go script (calling start.sh), I see the memory leak (it was up to about 1.5 GB this morning).  I'm going to try this again after work to confirm.

This would be an epic find.  Maybe try:

HOME=/root; /mnt/cache/.pms/start.sh

From the GO script.

Alright, i got my Apple TV. I was able to jailbreak it and everything is running good with Plex on it. I really love this so far. Im only having one issue. I created a section for my SD movies and added the folders before i went to bed. When i woke up, i clicked on that section in the Media Manager and it locked up the page as well as the unraid web gui i had open in another tab. It does this everytime i select this one section now. None of my other sections have this problem. Anyone know anything about this problem or have any advice?

Thanks

Working on 0.4 that will include all the 0.9.5 goodness. STAY TUNED :)

I was using the full version of your plugin until this recent update when I decided that I didn't want to be waiting for the update to your plugin to begin enjoying the new features.  So I have installed the light version.  I first removed all the Plex files from the server as well as the full version of your plugin and then I restarted the server.  I then created a new folder on /mnt/disk1/apps/Plex and copied the latest files over to that directory.  Then I went to /boot/extra and ran the installpkg command to intall the light version.

I then fixed my configuration on the web GUI and restarted plex.  At first everything looked great, the Media manager came up and I opened preferences and saw the myPlex section so I knew that I had updated, however, the Agents section is blank so I can't get any of the sections of my media added again in order to view them.  I thought it might be a permission issue, so I changed the permissions on the entire Plex directory to 777 so that I could rule that out.  I still don't get any of the agents.  This is the error I see throughout my plex media server log file:

Nov 02, 2011 06:57:43 [com.plexapp.system] ERROR - Error reading from plug-in [com.plexapp.system], we're killing it (got: '').

The full Plex Media Server log is available here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5238533/Plex%20Media%20Server.log

Do you have any suggestions on how to get the plugins to work properly?

I've also added a post on the forums over at plexapp.com in order to see if they can help me out. http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/32053-unraid-error-reading-from-plugin-were-killing-it/

Thanks for the great plugin!!!

Hi Kaiguy,

Have you been able to run PMS again without the memory leak?

That's awesome that you go it up and running.  How's it working for you?

Also, do you think it's possible to just UPDATE the files vs. deleting the directory and starting over using the light version?

If anyone has done this and can write a quick walk-thru on how to do it, that would be great.

(Also, has anyone upgraded to 5.0 beta 13 yet?  If so, how's that going with Plex?

Mike

I recently installed Plex on unRAID 5.0beta13 and have had no issues. I did realize that I needed to break down some of my collections to decrease load times in the meda manager and the client, 2500 movies takes a while to load. Couple questions.

If i want to move the Plex data to a Cache drive so that my array will spin down, do i simple change the config and move the files, then start it up and Plex wont have to rebuild collections and meta data?

Also, I have played with the auto update settings and have not seen it actually pick up changes aside from manually pressing the button to refresh the collection. I have gone from every day to 12 hours to now at 6 hours trying to get it to work, is this broken for others?

I am also interested in upgrading to the newest version of Plex but i dont want to have to rebuild everything, hopefully there will be a easy upgrade option to retain current data. Anyone know anything about this?