Plex Media Server plugin for unRAID (v0.3 - Aug 7 2011)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@swells. Everything worked like it did before the upgrade. I should have stated earlier that I am running the Plugin instead of this script but they are pretty much the same thing. All that gets replaced are the plex install files. My library is in a different location and it had no effect.

I did notice that the other plugin has been updated to the latest version of Plex. I am sure this one won't be far behind.

So even with auto update set to 6 hours, its not working. Even if i do Shift+clicking the update button it is still finding a show that is no longer in the folder i have set to this certain section. I actually moved it to another folder in a different section and its not adding it to the library there either.

The full version of this plugin was flawless but, I like a lot of you want the latest version of the server. I attempted the do a clean install of the lightweight version and untar the files from my windows machine to /mnt/disk1/app/plex/. 

At this point I just keep on hitting the start button under Utils and just stays there.

Anyone other than myself getting this issue?

Since the old Plex thread has transitioned to here, I figured I'd post my experience with the new version of PMS for unRAID, though I am not utilizing this plugin.

When I launched PMS via the start.sh script within a telnet session, it appeared that I wasn't experiencing the growing memory issue.  When I launched it via my go script (calling start.sh), I see the memory leak (it was up to about 1.5 GB this morning).  I'm going to try this again after work to confirm.

Hi Kaiguy,

Have you been able to run PMS again without the memory leak?

I have, actually, with spidi's plugin (it's under the unRAID 5 plugin design forum). Something he did fixed it!

Thank you for the nice work. I have installed and got it running. However, a few questions if somebody could answer:

- Is there any way to play VIDEO_TS files using Plex App for iPad? If this is not possible, could PMS do some live conversion using ffmpeg or other packages (like Air Video)?

- Is there any way to include the mpeg-ts (transport stream) files in the directory? At the moment I include the path which is full of .ts files, but Plex manager insists saying that the directory in empty.

I think these question would be better address on the Plex forum.

This forum is more about the installation of the Plex server on unRAID.

Cheers.

I have checked with the Plex forums and it seems to be a well known bug with the PMS after version 8, however, it has not been acknowledged by the developers. A few people have managed to stream the VIDEO_TS folders by reinstalling the server from a scrath. Therefore, I wanted to ask once agin in these forums: could you stream VIDEO_TS or ISO images with using PMS installed on your unRaid?

This is a little bit weird since if I choose the VIDEO_TS folder on my unRaid share via the finder (Os X Lion) and decide to open it using Plex, the Plex client could play it without any problem. This makes me think of a problem due to the incorrect path the Mac is trying to use. This does not help with iPad though. Going back to Twonky since it could stream anything put on it to any possible client I have used so far. The interface is a little bit boring compared to Plex though :(

I have 0.9.5.1 running. I downloaded it and changed the file name to the old version that the script was running. Have had no problems. Accessing my library at work right now with myplex

Thanks I did the same trick, however, on the utility page of unRaid's GUI, the version still reads as 0.9.3.5. Is it the same in your situation or do you see the correct number of version, ie 0.9.5.1?

I have checked with the Plex forums and it seems to be a well known bug with the PMS after version 8, however, it has not been acknowledged by the developers. A few people have managed to stream the VIDEO_TS folders by reinstalling the server from a scrath. Therefore, I wanted to ask once agin in these forums: could you stream VIDEO_TS or ISO images with using PMS installed on your unRaid?

This is a little bit weird since if I choose the VIDEO_TS folder on my unRaid share via the finder (Os X Lion) and decide to open it using Plex, the Plex client could play it without any problem. This makes me think of a problem due to the incorrect path the Mac is trying to use. This does not help with iPad though. Going back to Twonky since it could stream anything put on it to any possible client I have used so far. The interface is a little bit boring compared to Plex though :(

There's a brief explanation of the problem here : http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/30930-frequently-asked-questions/

Scanning wise for TV series DVDs, I found best way to deal with it was to keep it in ISO format, and name it using the multi episode naming format.

Ok, im terrible with linux. I want to upgrade my Plex with the newest version and i am currenly using this plugin. How do i install the new one? I have downloaded the file (PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar.bz2) but im not sure what to do from here. Can someone who has done this provide me with some easy instructions?

The full version of this plugin was flawless but, I like a lot of you want the latest version of the server. I attempted the do a clean install of the lightweight version and untar the files from my windows machine to /mnt/disk1/app/plex/.  

At this point I just keep on hitting the start button under Utils and just stays there.

Anyone other than myself getting this issue?

Have you been able to find out why the start/status button doesn't actually start PMS? Perhaps someone can offer up a suggestion or two on why the start button doesn't work or the status pill stays red?

If you cannot wait for an upgrade for this plugin you could use the trick explained earlier: download the above file and extract it to your "/boot/extra" directory, where you should have the older package named "plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tar". Change this new file's name (PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar) to "plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tar", then stop and restart the Plex using the utilities page in GUI. The server should be up and running.

I wouldn't suggest trying this.

The file currently in /boot/extra is not a tar, it's a txz.  It's a specially formed Slackware package, which the tar file in the downloaded Plex isn't.

I'm not sure if the Slackware intallpkg would even extract a regular tar, and if it did, I can guarantee that it won't put the files where they are supposed to be.

Bottom line, either wait for the new plug-in, or remove the current one, and switch to the "light" version, together with the Plex download.

Cheers.

If you cannot wait for an upgrade for this plug in you could use the trick explained earlier: download the above file and extract it to your "/boot/extra" directory, where you should have the older package named "plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tar". Change this new file's name (PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar) to "plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tar", then stop and restart the Plex using the utilities page in GUI. The server should be up and running.

I wouldn't suggest trying this.

The file currently in /boot/extra is not a tar, it's a txz.  It's a specially formed Slackware package, which the tar file in the downloaded Plex isn't.

I'm not sure if the Slackware intallpkg would even extract a regular tar, and if it did, I can guarantee that it won't put the files where they are supposed to be.

Bottom line, either wait for the new plug-in, or remove the current one, and switch to the "light" version, together with the Plex download.

Cheers.

You are right. I'm sorry for giving misleading info, which I have got from an earlier message in this thread. Later I realised that they have installed the light version. not this script. I have realised that "changing the name" did not work, I am in fact still running the older version. I have removed my earlier note in order not to cause further confusion. Thanks for correcting.

Ok, im terrible with linux. I want to upgrade my Plex with the newest version and i am currenly using this plugin. How do i install the new one? I have downloaded the file (PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar.bz2) but im not sure what to do from here. Can someone who has done this provide me with some easy instructions?

While the Plex plugin is amazing for ease of use, all it does is create a plex.sh file to start Plex correctly. To run the current version of Plex remove the full plugin from your system and do the following:

SSH into your unRAID server and cd to your desired install location. I use /mnt/cache/.custom/ , so all examples from here will relate to that path. Change yours as necessary. If you dont have a cache drive installed DO NOT USE /mnt/cache since all your data will be deleted on reboot.

cd /mnt/cache/.custom
wget http://plex-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar.bz2
tar xvjf PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar.bz2
rm PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9-slackware.tar.bz2
mv PlexMediaServer-0.9.5.1-56298e9 Plex
cd Plex

mcedit plex.sh

Paste in the following code, replace /mnt/cache/.custom with your install location, and change your library location.

#!/bin/sh

# If plex is running, exit script
[[ $(ps -A | grep Plex\ Media\ Serv) ]] && exit

# We load our configuration variables here
PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR="/mnt/cache/.custom/Plex"
PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="/mnt/cache/.custom/PlexLibrary"
TMPDIR="/tmp"
RUNAS="root"

# Now we export the variables required for Plex Media Server to run
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}"
export TMPDIR="${TMPDIR}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
export LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
export LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

# Set the maximum stack size. DO NOT CHANGE THIS
ulimit -s 3000

# Start Plex Media Server or check for version
if [ "$1" = "--version" ]; then
   $PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR/Plex\ Media\ Server --version
else
   $PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR/Plex\ Media\ Server
fi

Hit F10 and select Yes to save. Then change the permission of the file.

chmod 777 plex.sh

Add the following lines to the end of your go script. Since Plex seems to quit every 4-18 hours due to a memory leak Ive included a cron job to check every 5 minutes and restart when necessary.

# Start Plex Media Server
/mnt/cache/.custom/Plex/plex.sh &> /dev/null &

# Add cron job to check if Plex is running every 5 minutes.
crontab -l | egrep -v "plex.sh" > /tmp/crontab
echo "# Restart Plex if stopped" >> /tmp/crontab
echo "*/5 * * * * /mnt/cache/.custom/Plex/plex.sh  >/dev/null 2>&1" >> /tmp/crontab
crontab /tmp/crontab
test -f /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root- && cp /tmp/crontab /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root-

Start your plex server

su root -s /bin/sh -c "/mnt/cache/.custom/Plex/plex.sh &> /dev/null &

Thats it! If your Plex Server doesnt start, type "ps -A" and see if "Plex Media Serv" is running. If not start up your server with /mnt/cache/.custom/Plex/plex.sh to see a log of your Plex startup and identify any errors.

Finally, my Plex installation wouldnt play MKV subtitles, so I fixed it by uploading my systems font directory to /mnt/cache/.custom/fonts and placing the attached fonts.conf file in Plex/Resources/. Again, change all instances of /mnt/cache/.custom to your install directory. I realize this is probably overkill but it did solve my problem. If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know.

fonts.conf

Is there anybody who is using Spotify plugin for their Plex installed in their unRaid server? I have the 0.9.5.1 version installed, however, cannot see the Spotify plugin under Music channels? It installs/updates/resets/restarts/ via the Plex client but does not show up anywhere. Checked from Plex forums and elsewhere - cannot find any solution. Any suggestions?

I've just installed the light version with v0.9.5.1-56298e9 of PMS, and it loads just fine.  The problem I am having is that when I reach the main Plex page, and attempt to add media, I am unable to; it never accepts my click of the media location.  I have also noticed that no agents appear in the preferences, or in the media add pane.

I have re-installed, and deleted frameworks and system.bundle, but the issue remains.  In my logs, I see:

Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] WARN - The plug-in /mnt/user/Custom/plex/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Services.bundle is not runnable.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - Starting plug-in /mnt/user/Custom/plex/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/LocalMedia.bundle.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.agents.localmedia] Agent not known by system, so we're starting for sure.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - Starting file watcher for com.plexapp.agents.localmedia
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - Spawned plug-in com.plexapp.agents.localmedia with PID 20067
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.agents.localmedia] Sent command: GET /:/prefixes

Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1755b70] DEBUG - HTTP request to: http://www.plexapp.com/plex/blacklisted/e451332
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] ERROR - Error reading from plug-in [com.plexapp.agents.cine21], we're killing it (got: '').
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - Stopping [com.plexapp.agents.cine21].
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.agents.cine21] Killing.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] ERROR - Error received reading configuration for com.plexapp.agents.cine21
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - Stopping [com.plexapp.agents.cine21].
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - Updating the list of agents known by the system.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - Starting file watcher for com.plexapp.system
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] ERROR - Error reading from plug-in [com.plexapp.agents.lastfm], we're killing it (got: '').
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] DEBUG - Stopping [com.plexapp.agents.lastfm].
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.agents.lastfm] Killing.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] ERROR - Error received reading configuration for com.plexapp.agents.lastfm
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] DEBUG - Stopping [com.plexapp.agents.lastfm].
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb1179b70] DEBUG - Updating the list of agents known by the system.
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - Spawned plug-in com.plexapp.system with PID 20068
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0e8bb70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.system] Sent command: GET /:/prefixes

Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] ERROR - Error reading from plug-in [com.plexapp.agents.localmedia], we're killing it (got: '').
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - Stopping [com.plexapp.agents.localmedia].
Nov 14, 2011 22:20:15 [0xb0b9db70] DEBUG - [com.plexapp.agents.localmedia] Killing.

Any ideas?  I am seeing a lot of people with this problem, but they are all on windows, so the fixes aren't making sense to me.  Thanks so much in advance!

Hmm, I added that to my plex.sh, and am seeing no change.  Here are the contents of my start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
#SCRIPTPATH=$(dirname $(python -c 'import sys,os;print os.path.realpath(sys.argv[1])' $0))
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server

And plex.sh:

#!/bin/sh

# We load our configuration file here
source /boot/custom/plex/user.conf

# Now we export the variables required for Plex Media Server to run
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}"
export TMPDIR="${TMPDIR}"

# Set the maximum stack size. DO NOT CHANGE THIS
ulimit -s 3000

# Start Plex Media Server or check for version
if [ "$1" = "--version" ]; then
$PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR/Plex\ Media\ Server --version
else
$PLEX_INSTALLED_DIR/Plex\ Media\ Server
fi

Still no idea why my plugins are upset.  Will dig around more, but would appreciate any help, as I am basically guessing.  :)

Would have liked to get this running, but unfortunately can't seem to get it to start.  I get to the config page, after setting up the directories I click start and nothing happens. No errors. The Status still has the red dot and the start button. I've kept the directories as default and run as root.

Would have liked to get this running, but unfortunately can't seem to get it to start.  I get to the config page, after setting up the directories I click start and nothing happens. No errors. The Status still has the red dot and the start button. I've kept the directories as default and run as root.

If you have changed the paths, make sure that the Path to the Libray is similar to the examples given with regard to the upper/lower cases and the final slash.

I was having a tough time following the instructions, here's why:

I installed the package using

installpkg plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tgz

Then I went to the unRaid menu > utils > Plex Media Server

In there, there are three modifiable fields:

Installed folder

Application Support folder

Temporary folder

I wanted it installed to my cache drive, so I changed the fields to:

Installed folder: /mnt/cache/.plex

Application folder: /mnt/cache/.plex/library

Temporary folder: /mnt/cache/.plex/tmp

These settings cause errors because when I ran

installpkg plex-0.3-i386-unRAID.tgz

It installed to the default location. I'm not aware of a way to make it install anywhere else.

I modified the three fields to:

Installed folder: /usr/local/plex

Application folder: /mnt/cache/.plex/library

Temporary folder: /mnt/cache/.plex/tmp

and that seems to have worked fine.

Not sure why I can change the "Installed folder" if it's always the same place, and un-modifiable. The only reason I would want it installed anywhere else is so my flash drive doesn't get hammered with read/writes - maybe it's a moot point.

Not sure why I can change the "Installed folder" if it's always the same place, and un-modifiable. The only reason I would want it installed anywhere else is so my flash drive doesn't get hammered with read/writes - maybe it's a moot point.

I'm going to guess that it's a common script used for both the "full" and "light" versions of the package.  With the "light", you make your decision where to install Plex.

And no, using the "full" package doesn't install the code on the flash drive.  It's loaded into the ram copy of the file system, each time you boot.

Cheers.