5700G iGPU passthrough (only VGA in machine)

Hi,

I just bought a new machine X570 board with the above CPU, and wanted to try unRAID. This is my first time with this OS and passthrough all together. My main goal is to have my daily driver arch/manjaro install in a VM using the iGPU. (I already have a debian VM with virtual GPU, this just hosts some services for the network. I'm also running some containers.)

Last week I was able to install arch in a VM, and I had video output through the HDMI port of the motherboard. I shut it down soon after the install thinking I will play with it later, but I wasn't able to start it since. I got no video output, and 1 CPU core is maxed out, but nothing happens.

So I tried to create a new VM but the same happend before I could boot from the iso. After fiddling in BIOS and reading some threads here, I was able to install manjaro in a new VM with virtual graphics, but I'm unable to make it work with the iGPU.

First I tried this:

But then my log filled up, with messages like in this thread, so I did what OP did:

Now my log is ok, but I still don't get video through HDMI.

Is what I'm aiming for possible? If so, can someone help please?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

unraid-diagnostics-20230407-1436.zip

From a general point of view:

1. you need a vbios to pass because the igpu is set as boot vga

2. you need to set the gpu in the target vm as a multifunction device (search in this forum about how to do it)

3. you need to modify your syslinux config to add video=efifb:off because currently efifb is attached to the vga

I suggest also to read this discussion:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112649-amd-apu-ryzen-5700g-igpu-passthrough-on-692/

with other users trying to do the same thing.

On 4/8/2023 at 11:16 AM, ghost82 said:

From a general point of view:

1. you need a vbios to pass because the igpu is set as boot vga

2. you need to set the gpu in the target vm as a multifunction device (search in this forum about how to do it)

3. you need to modify your syslinux config to add video=efifb:off because currently efifb is attached to the vga

I suggest also to read this discussion:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/112649-amd-apu-ryzen-5700g-igpu-passthrough-on-692/

with other users trying to do the same thing.

Thanks again for your reply.

I looked into the points you wrote, I set them all, but still no success (no output from VM).
For 1st point I used the user script which was shown by Spaceinvader One. The script said the bios size is a little too small (55kb), so I'm not 100% sure about this.

I also read most of the thread you linked. My problem is that everyone does a Windows VM, but I want a linux VM, and I have no hyperv section in my xml for example, unlike them. So I'm not sure what do I need in my XML and what not.

Do you have any further advice maybe?

Thanks!

I don't have any igpu so I can't suggest anything more apart asking in that thread to other users that have the same igpu.

I can say that you probably wont be able to dump the vbios from the igpu, you need to extract it from the bios of your motherboard (the discussion I linked has instructions about how to do it) or download one.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I played a bit more with this. I gave up on the iGPU, got an old R9 270 AMD GPU. After some trials it started to show video output for a manjaro VM, but only if my ultra-wide monitor is in split screen between 2 inputs. It seems like the card could not output 3440x1440 resolution, but I think in theory it should work. My bigger problem is that I wanted an VM with EndeavourOS, but I was not able to achieve what I could with manjaro. Same drivers are installed, but I cannot get any output. Both are Q35-7.1 machines with OVMF bios. Can the bootloader matter? I selected Grub for the EndeavourOS, I'm not sure about manjaro.

I bound the VGA to VFIO on boot, extracted and using the VGA bios, multifunction is turned on.

Oh, I tried a Windows 11 VM as well. On the vendors website only Win10 driver is available, but whatever I tried I got a message that no Radeon VGA is present in the machine :/

So I'm on the verge of giving up :(

Edited by the-_-crusher