Moving HDDs from a USB enclosure to a SAS-HBA internally

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I've been using a USB enclosure to expand my capacity for sometime now as my case has been completely maxed out.

I recently had some issues with IO errors while pre-clearing a drive and moving data to the array, so I've decided to ditch the enclosure and I want to move the disks so they're connected internally (I bought another SAS-HBA, and a second power supply).

The problem I'm having is in the enclosure Unraid recognizes the drives as a single unit with a colon and a number affixed to the end.

When moving them internally they get their actual serial back and Unraid thinks its a brand new drive even though I'm selecting to the same Disk # in the array to replace it.

Is there any way I can add these disks without Unraid trying to wipe them?

drives.PNG

To further clarify, I would like to take these three drives and move them from the USB enclosure to connected internally via SATA to SAS-HBA.
They would be in the exact same position in the array but because the serial number changes from what's listed in the screenshot to the actual label of the drive it appears to think its a new drive.

I'm just worried that If I pull all 3 and put them back that Unraid will think the data is gone.

30 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Assuming the USB bridge is transparent you can do a new config, re-assign all disks and they were and check parity is already valid.

Would you clarify what you mean by "transparent".
If you meant that it allows the drives to show up with their unique identifiers it does not.
If you look at the screenshot I've attached you'll see they all share the same name just affixed with a drive letter.

SERIALNO-0:0
SERIALNO-0:1

SERIALNO-0:2

etc.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by transparent though.

Perfect, well I'll reply back when I know more.
Now, is it possible to re-assign all these disks if one of them is already emulated and attempting to do a data-rebuild?

One of my disks erred out and after running tests on it, it appears fine, my theory is it's the USB enclosure which is why I'm attempting to  phase it out entirely.

Also mounting the disk outside of the array it also looks fine, all the data appears to be there.

Working on getting to my server now, definitely didn't make it easy on myself to get in and out.

So here is where I'm stuck.

I've tried to rebuild the data from my array onto a brand new 14TB drive, but it fails because my USB enclosure freezes up after 40+ hrs of extended use.

I need to pull 3 drives out of the enclosure so that I can rebuild to correct the error on Disk 16.

Unless there is someway I can get the error cleared when I try to import the ACTUAL disk that was in use for Disk 16 in the enclosure directly, Unraid is telling me it's going to completely wipe the drive.

How do I proceed?

drives04.png

• Solution

You can try this, note that it will only work if parity is still valid:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including all the disks that were in the enclosure, assigned slots must the same as before to keep parity2 valid.
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign the disk you want to rebuild
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disk will now mount and contents look correct, if it doesn't you should run a filesystem check on the emulated disk
-If the emulated disk mounts and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign the disk to rebuild and start array to begin.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

You can try this, note that it will only work if parity is still valid:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed, including all the disks that were in the enclosure, assigned slots must the same as before to keep parity2 valid.
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign the disk you want to rebuild
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disk will now mount and contents look correct, if it doesn't you should run a filesystem check on the emulated disk
-If the emulated disk mounts and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign the disk to rebuild and start array to begin.

Thank you so much for your help!!
This appears to have been exactly what I needed!

I did not do the rebuild step because I don't believe the drive is actually bad.

I did already run several checks on the drive and it appears to be in good health.

I suspect my USB enclosure was the cause of all my problems.

I'm currently running a parity check to confirm everything is fine.

I'll come back and mark your post as the solution tomorrow after I've confirmed everything is good!