NVME drive not visible - new install

Go to solution Solved by subagon,

This is a fresh install and all I have done is set a static IP address and nothing else.

Configuration:

- Unraid 6.11.5

- HP t740 thin client

- 16GB RAM

- 2 M.2 slots

- Slot #1: 32GB NVMe SSD in slot labeled "NVME"

- Slot #2: empty, labeled "SATA"

The 32GB drive is visible in BIOS. However, the drive is not visible on the Main page.

I've read a few similar posts here and nothing matched. This thin client PC doesn't have any RAID controller I can see. It doesn't have any SATA ports, just the two M.2 slots, one NVMe and the other SATA. I only have the single 32GB NVme SSD installed.

The 32GB SSD came with the PC and I would like to replace it with a larger NVMe drive, but don't want to spend $ if it won't work in this thin client. I did try installing a SATA SSD in the SATA slot and Unraid did see it, formated, etc. With both the SATA and NVMe drivces installed only the SATA drive is visible. The diagnostics file below is with only the 32GB NVMe installed.

This isn't a "production" server. It's just a test box I use to test out various OS's, dockers, etc. Right now I'm using it to test a backup server for my primary Unraid server (no, this thin client will not be the backup server).

Thanks,

Mike

tower-diagnostics-20230413-0146.zip

Looking at the spec of that device it appears that the 32GB present will be eMMC and not NVME.  Apparently the slot is meant to support both.   Not sure if Unraid is expected to see an eMMC device, and even if it was you will not know if a NVME device would work without trying one out.

Having said that maybe somebody who has actual experience of that devices will be able to provide a more informed answer.

Thanks itimpi for pointing that out. This gives me hope that a NVMe drive will work in this device with Unraid. So I guess Unraid doesn't support eMMC? Not an issue in my case since I want to replace it.

I'll wait and see if someone will post with experience with this hardware.

EDIT: I found this... Maybe this hardware has the same issue?

Tech specs...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06437903#AbT5

160088461_ScreenShot2023-04-13at3_05_42PM.thumb.png.4f36cb2e07ae1e9bceef0c25e29d6849.png

Edited by subagon