beta10 Parity - crashes, hard reset required

Hi,

I am very new to this whole thing and trying just getting thru, so please excuse my ignorance/inabilities.

I have been using the system for about a month now, playing between the 5.0 betas, everything seems to be working great (minus the TimeMachine issue with Lion).

However, since I upgraded to 5b10, I cannot preform a Parity Check. I would say that it gets about 5% then completely freezes. All shares are gone, can't use the web GUI, can't terminal in, and can't even get a response from the system console itself. I have to reboot and start the raid again, and everything would work as before I started the Parity Check?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

syslog.txt

Hi

Here the same problem parity check no respons interface and a hard reboot needed.

Software 5.10b no adons.

Only added a new precleared drive WD 2TB ears as disk 7.

Also get this error.

Aug  5 20:00:10 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): reiserfs-2025 reiserfs_cache_bitmap_metadata: bitmap block 488374272 is corrupted: first bit must be 1 (Errors)

Rob

Hi

Here the same problem parity check no respons interface and a hard reboot needed.

Software 5.10b no adons.

Only added a new precleared drive WD 2TB ears as disk 7.

Also get this error.

Aug  5 20:00:10 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): reiserfs-2025 reiserfs_cache_bitmap_metadata: bitmap block 488374272 is corrupted: first bit must be 1 (Errors)

Rob

Time to run a file system check on /dev/md7

See the wiki for instructions.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

Hi Joe

I tried to check the dis but I got the message device not find.

Stopped the array stopped samba tried to umount md7 nothing.

And I realy have disk 7.

How to proceed from here?

Rob

You will NOT see /dev/md7 with the array stopped. You must repair the file system with the array started in order for it to correct parity too.  If you have a disk7, you will have a /dev/md7.

You  should proceed exactly as every other person asking for support... attach a syslog to your next post.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anything else about the system changed? Are you running any add-ons? Please provide system specs.

sorry dgaschk for the late reply. somehow the birth of my son has taken me away from playing with this.

Nothing has changed on the server and no add-ons.  What type of specs are you looking for?

i have 3 WD 2tb ear drives. 1 parity - 2 data.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...