VM GPU passthrough used with Tdarr when VM is not running? (SOLVED)

Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Hi All

Maybe a stupid Q, but I havnet really found any post that isn't very very old on this topic 🙂

I finally got my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 working in a VM running windows 11

But I really need the new encoder from the RTX 3600 GPU for the Tdarr docker, do I need to remove it from the VM in order to use it with docker? (I remember someone said it was enough not to run the VM while using it elsewhere)

Do I also have to remove the X from the IOMMU groups?

image.thumb.png.60da7918f535c9ac5e775442786de707.png

Is it even possible to have two GPU's in the NVIDIA plugin (I have a older P2000 card also and I can only see this one card)

image.thumb.png.f273a9d7f54b4ff031cf8b2346ec3ca9.png

Cheers

Casperse

Edited by casperse
  • Solution
2 minutes ago, casperse said:

Hi All

Maybe a stupid Q, but I havnet really found any post that isn't very very old on this topic 🙂

I finally got my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 working in a VM running windows 11

But I really need the new encoder from the RTX 3600 GPU for the Tdarr docker, do I need to remove it from the VM in order to use it with docker? (I remember someone said it was enough not to run the VM while using it elsewhere)

Do I also have to remove the X from the IOMMU groups?

image.thumb.png.60da7918f535c9ac5e775442786de707.png

Is it even possible to have two GPU's in the NVIDIA plugin (I have a older P2000 card also and I can only see this one card)

image.thumb.png.f273a9d7f54b4ff031cf8b2346ec3ca9.png

Cheers

Casperse

You need to unbind from vfio for the host to see the card. You can passthru without binding to vfio to a vm. If the vm is stopped then it will return bqck to the host. I believe it will support more than 1 gpu, but the plugin may just show the first. Maybe the driver vers may not support both.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SimonF said:

You need to unbind from vfio for the host to see the card. You can passthru without binding to vfio to a vm. If the vm is stopped then it will return bqck to the host. I believe it will support more than 1 gpu, but the plugin may just show the first. Maybe the driver vers may not support both.

Thanks!

I have unbind the card:

image.thumb.png.0a1e5f475e747fd8364fad3e8119fe9e.png

I seem to have a very old Nvidia driver 

image.thumb.png.a4b2262ed649543f940d113738fc3c57.png

I just looked at the "old" Syslinux Configuration and I can't see any old stubbing here?
To be honest its a very long time since I messed with this so not sure what to look for?
image.thumb.png.dc916d4c3640f345e3e24050bec0c429.png

Got to love Unraid no other system would let you do these things across VM and dockers 🙂

46 minutes ago, casperse said:

Thanks!

I have unbind the card:

image.thumb.png.0a1e5f475e747fd8364fad3e8119fe9e.png

I seem to have a very old Nvidia driver 

image.thumb.png.a4b2262ed649543f940d113738fc3c57.png

I just looked at the "old" Syslinux Configuration and I can't see any old stubbing here?
To be honest its a very long time since I messed with this so not sure what to look for?
image.thumb.png.dc916d4c3640f345e3e24050bec0c429.png

Got to love Unraid no other system would let you do these things across VM and dockers 🙂

I suspect that the driver will not support both the 3060 and P2000 and updating driver you are unlikely to loose P2000 support.  @ich777 maybe able to adivse.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, casperse said:

Is it even possible to have two GPU's in the NVIDIA plugin

Yes.

1 hour ago, casperse said:

Please post your Diagnostics.

I think in your case something else is preventing the card from being recognized in the plugin when the VM is off.

@alturismo does something similar with his cards and the plugin is able to see the cards again after a VM is stopped.

• Like 1
  • casperse changed the title to VM GPU passthrough used with Tdarr when VM is not running? (SOLVED)