Flash failure - No backup - Attempted new Flash - Blacklisted

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I came home from a vacation to find my unraid server in a sad sate of flash failure. 

The flash drive is completely unrecognized in any of my other PCs. So I assume it has completely failed.

I'm surprised unraid stayed on, as there were storms and tornados here while I was gone. My router, which has a UPS, was powered off and the UPS was totally freaked out. Yet Unraid, with no UPS remained on, and somehow my flash drive died. 

Anyways, I grabbed a screenshot of my array just in case I lose all my settings... I flashed a new drive, and added my license ( basic.key ) expecting I would get a pop-up to transfer the license to the new flash drive. But what happened instead was I got a message that said the flash is blacklisted. Perhaps as if I'm trying to pirate the software or something.

So far, I don't have a super advanced config.... I did get GPU passthrough working about a week before I left for vacation. I'm regretting not making a backup now.

What can I do?
I'm uploading my diagnostics in case that can help.

tower-diagnostics-20230415-0021.zip

Still waiting on a brand new flash drive to arrive. In the meantime, I found another older 16GB HP flash drive, and flashed unraid to it. However, my unraid seems to not recognize it at all. It still shows the old 32GB drive, and says BLACKLISTED in the corner. Didn't say anything at all about the new drive.

Still displays,
"This USB Flash boot device has been blacklisted. This can occur as a result of transferring your license key to a replacement USB Flash device, and you are currently booted from your old USB Flash device. A USB Flash device may also be blacklisted if we discover the serial number is not unique – this is common with USB card readers."

Is there no way to clear this out so it will search on the new flash drive?
Did I make a mistake copying my Basic.key file to the config folder of the new flash drive?

If this is still happening when my brand new flash drive arrives, I'm gonna have to reboot it and just lose whatever semblance of a config I have left in RAM, I guess.

1 hour ago, pidg30n said:

If this is still happening when my brand new flash drive arrives, I'm gonna have to reboot it and just lose whatever semblance of a config I have left in RAM, I guess.

I am not sure you can plug in a new flash drive into a running system and make it work - I am assuming you are doing something like that

If you are worried about preserving config, the best bet is to try backing up the config (from running system + screenshots etc). But in the end, to go to a new USB, I think you will need to reboot

If I am wrong, would be happy to be corrected and learn

So, I took screenshots and flashed a new drive. Then rebooted to the new drive.

I have a license error, and there is a button to "Replace Key". However, when I click it, I receive the following message rather than any key replacement.

On March 1, 2023, Unraid.net Accounts were migrated to a new identity provider – Learn more.

As a result account management is no longer done via this pop-up window URL. Please follow these steps to experience our new account management system.

Close this pop-up window

Within the Unraid webgui go to Plugins

Upgrade to My Servers 2023.03.09.1140 or later

After re-install reload the Unraid webgui

Then just as before use the User Profile dropdown in the top right of the webgui – pop-ups should now load from https://account.unraid.net

Sign in with your existing Unraid.net credentials

Can't remember the account email? Contact Support

Don't have an account? You can sign up for an account

Thank you for your continued support.
– The My Servers Team

Funny thing is, I'm on the latest stable version. So I would have to upgrade to an unstable version to be able to replace my key?
Currently on Version 6.11.5 2022-11-20 

I'm gonna give that a try.... Upgrading to unRAIDServer-6.12.0-rc3-x86_64 now... Seems like a bit weird that there's not a GA update to include the updated account management for non beta users.

As far as restoring my disk array. That part should be easy, as I grabbed a screenshot. 
One additional problem, I had a VM on my cache drive. I don't remember if it was on cache or cache 2... However, I seem to be unable to easily add my second drive to cache.

When I add a second cache, it is in a whole new cache group... it looks nothing like the screenshot that I have... Is there a recommended way to restore cache without wiping the contents?

array.JPG

I must have read those instructions wrong... I'm supposed to upgrade a plugin to "2023.03.09.1140" or higher. In order to be able to replace my key...
However, I don't have any plugins installed.

So how do I update a plugin that I don't have installed?

Edit : Added screenshot... also
Maybe I need to start the array before I can see plugins?
But one cannot start the array, without a license.

no-plugins.JPG

Edited by pidg30n

I have opened a support case.

Edit : All set. Support provided me with an updated license key URL, which I added to the registration page and my license was reactivated for the new USB GUID. Once that happened, I was able to assign my drives as I saw them in the screenshot ( Had to change the cache pool size from 1 to 2 ). After that, I started my array and I seemed to have no data loss at all. All my configs were present. My dockers and my VM... my VM XML was the same. I was surprised, nothing was really lost.

This was the original content of the support case

Trying to replace my key after my flash drive failed. 
I flashed a new Samsung 64gb drive. However, my license hasn't transferred over. I cannot start my array, and I have no plugins.
Yet, when I attempt to use the "Replace key" button, I am met with a deprecation notice... despite being on the latest available version of unraid. 
I have no plugins listed, so the instructions on upgrading a plugin are not helpful at all.

Edited by pidg30n