Parity Sync taking forever

I went ahead and stopped it.  I'm not going to wait 50 hours for this thing to build.    Should I being doing this directly on the server instead of through windows?    If so, what are the commands.  The 3 pages of documentation that came with the USB doesn't help me at all, especially since I know nothing about linux.  Thanks

Normally "Flashing Light" in the Management Utility along with "*" for temperature indicates the drive is spun down.

(If you send a SMART command to a drive already spun down, e.g., to get it's temperature, the drive will spin back up, hence the s/w will not  try to get the temperature if it detects the drive is spun down.)

Another possibility is a communicaton problem with the drive preventing the SMART command from competing correctly.  I suggest you move the drive to another slot and see if you see the same behavior.

In any case, should take from 3-5 hours to rebuild parity depending on size and number of drives installed.

The array seemed to be operating fine.  I went ahead and loaded some data onto the drives (but not the drive that I'm suspicous of).  I rebooted to make sure everything was functioning.    Parity check initiated on reboot and I let it room.  A couple hours later I came back and the server had frozen.  The drives were all spinning but I couldn't access anything.  The monitor was blank and the web management just went to www.towerrecords.com  (which is annoying btw)

I'll mess around with it more tomorrow.

The array seemed to be operating fine.   I went ahead and loaded some data onto the drives (but not the drive that I'm suspicous of).   I rebooted to make sure everything was functioning.    Parity check initiated on reboot and I let it room.   A couple hours later I came back and the server had frozen.   The drives were all spinning but I couldn't access anything.   The monitor was blank and the web management just went to www.towerrecords.com  (which is annoying btw)

I'll mess around with it more tomorrow.

sounds like you have some memory issues.... try slowing the memory down in the bios.... i.e. change CAS=2 to CAS=2.5, for instance....

Jim

When my system was having these issues, they were caused by DMA errors.

They were finaly cleared up by putting all my harddrives on the second power supply and having the first power supply only power the system board.  Still not sure why this was necessary as the supply is plenty big enough for 3 drives, but I can't argue with the results.

Try the telnet window from a different system, and monitor the syslog file.