6.11.5 messed up shares

Go to solution Solved by robti,

Hi so over the weekend I thought I was tidying my shares up, so I set up a movie share for disks 1 & 2 and moved all my movies too there and repeated for my other shares to other drives, so I now have the following and I have been told this is wrongly set up after asking about setting plex shares up on a fb page, so here I am now asking for some help. Is this wrong to set unraid shares up like this and how to correct it ?

thanks

IMG_0236.png

broxi-diagnostics-20230417-0901.zip

What exactly did you do?  I see two shares-- blu ray films bmvd  and isos ---that could also be storing movies. 

You have four data disks and you are restricting the User Share called movies to two disks.  You do realize that you will have to monitor those two disks to make sure that you don't run out of storage space. 

(Before you read the following, I have OCD.  I try very hard to control it to keep things in perspective..)   Why do you feel the need to restrict where files are being stored on your Unraid  server?  That is one of the beauties of how the Array works in Unraid.  If you set the Minimum Free Space parameter, you never have to worry about storage space until the entire array is (almost) filled up.  I can see restricting a number of small-sized shares that are accessed very regularly to a single disk to reduce the number of spinups of data disks (thinking here of databases or the personal files of a user) but it makes less sense for a share with very large files where only one or two files might be accessed each day.  (The database-- using mysql ---for my Media share is restricted to the cache drive which is an SSD.  The database is accessed to make the movie selection and the movie files are on the Array.  The Array never will spin-up until the movie is selected to be played.  I will confess that File structure of the Media share is overly complex because of the needs of the previous media players we used.  I have convince myself that reorganizing things to make it more logical is not something that is required as the database manger for the new players can make that structure transparent to the user.  Therefore, it should not be done...) 

• Solution

thanks i have moved the first files you speak of ad i changed the shares as i thought i would keep all movies on disks 1 & 2 and tv on 3 so that i could keep tabs on them and also thinking is the files were spread out i could end up having more than 1 disk running. all i want now is to be back to defaults. So i created a data share with media and then the films, tv inside that and atm i am using mc to move the movie files to /mnt/disk2/data/media/movies. i have also cleaned up the lose files back into the file share is there a way to delete all shares and start again keeping the files ?

2023-04-17.png