Temperature sensors on SATA/RAID controller LIS SAS9211-8i

Is there a temperature sensor on the SAS9211-8i megaraid card, and if so, how would I access it? I am having an issue with my server crashing on a parity rebuild and am trying to rule things out one by one. That being said, is it possible for it to overheat with poor airfloow and cause the computer to crash?

Is this still the best temp sensor pugin? https://wiki.unraid.net/Setting_up_CPU_and_board_temperature_sensing I don't happen to see Perl in the list of NerdTools

Edited by xdriver
update info
  • xdriver changed the title to Temperature sensors on SATA/RAID controller LIS SAS9211-8i
4 hours ago, xdriver said:

That being said, is it possible for it to overheat with poor airfloow and cause the computer to crash?

Definitely, those cards are designed for rack servers, where airflow is guaranteed over all the slots. If the card is used in a desktop, you must add forced airflow over the heatsink somehow.

The quick and dirty test would be to point a case fan in the direction of the HBA's heatsink and see if you still have the issue.

If not, you can work on a more permanent solution. Some use a 40mm fan attached to the heatsink, others simply make sure there is airflow on it (I use a bottom intake on the case to push air in this general direction).

If it does not fix your issue, it could be something else.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I wanted to see what the temps were on my controller after adding a fan to the case. It took a little digging, but after finding this post I investigated which utility would work with these HBAs.

This post here got me started: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/98985-megaraid-megacli-install/?do=findComment&comment=1221962

Megacli and lsiutil didn't see my card, but storcli did. I was able to use the Linux binaries for storcli from Broadcom to check full status, along with temperature using the steps above with this zip. I used the 64 bit binary (storcli64) under the Linux folder and chmod 777 to make it executable once copied to the /tmp folder on unraid.

This worked for a 9300-8i, and would probably for other 9xxx series cards.

[zip] Storcli

Point release 007.2707.0000.0000
DATE: 01/05/2024 SIZE: 33756 KB

./storcli64 /c0 show temperature
CLI Version = 007.2707.0000.0000 Dec 18, 2023
Operating system = Linux 6.1.74-Unraid
Controller = 0
Status = Success
Description = None

Controller Properties :
=====================
--------------------------------------