HDD read error, looking for secound opinion on SMART ext results [solved]

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi,

Looking for help/second opinion please.

Last night, a HDD got a read error and has been disabled by unraid, being emulated. I started a extended SMART test at the time. I'm not able to due much more yet, cause this happened during a Parity drive rebuild (changed drives to increase parity capacity).

I shut down all dockers and services for now. The extended SMART test came back no errors. From what I can understand from the results, I'm planning on restarting the server once the party is done rebuilding, and keeping and eye on it going forward. That said, I don't understand all aspects of the results, so though I'd ask here incase there's other things that indicate that it is indeed failing.

So bellow is both the diagnostics made now (sorry, didn't think it creating one last night when it happened) and ethe ext SMART test for the drive specifically, incase it's not in the diagnostics.

Any and all advise and help is appreciated!

oracle-diagnostics-20230419-1411.zip oracle-smart-20230419-1411.zip

Edited by Naustradamus
20 hours ago, JorgeB said:

SMART looks OK and this is usually a power/connection problem:

Apr 19 01:06:35 Oracle kernel: sd 11:0:11:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

Replace cables and if the emulated disk11 contents look correct you can rebuild on top.

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. Saw your reply while at work, and was busy after that. Thanks for the advise! I've done so, disk rebuilt too. Hope it's not the backplane though, the other 3 drives on it weren't affected, though it was the one farthest from where the power cable plugs in.

Again, very much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Naustradamus changed the title to HDD read error, looking for secound opinion on SMART ext results [solved]