Cloning (?) a server

Go to solution Solved by MsJamie,

I want to make a copy of my server to install at a different location; essentially, offsite backup.

My current server: 6x 8TB drives; 5 data + 1 parity; approx. 35 TB of data.

The new server: 4x 16TB drives; 3 data, 1 parity.

For various reasons (space, in particular), the copying has to be done on the current hardware.  What I would like to do is add the 3 16TB drives to the existing array (parity discussion below), and create a new share on them (say, /mnt/usr/backup). With a script (or rsync), I'll copy share1 to backup/share1, share2 -> backup/share2, and so on. After the backup is complete, I'll down the array, remove the 16TB drives, and rebuild parity. On the new server, I'll simply move backup/share1 to share1 after creating the share.

I know that I can't use 16TB drives on an array with an 8TB parity drive. Since I already have a 16TB drive that will be used for parity in the new server, I can swap that in, rebuild parity, then add the 16TB drives.  Or, I can do the copy with no parity drive.  (I'm curious which way will leave my files vulnerable for the longer period of time.)

Bottom line: I want a copy of all my files on 3 16TB drives, in such a way that I can simply drop them into the new server and be able to directly create an array. If I can do this via Unassigned Devices, that's fine.

Any ideas?

what you are planning will work, with a lot of reconfig / parity rebuild etc.

You have absolutely no spare computer where you can connect those 4 drives, boot unraid, create desired array and copy between 2 servers? that will be simplest, and you can then drop in all 4 drives including parity into new server without having to rebuild parity

The next simplest would be if you can connect all 4 new drives to your current server, then passthrough them into an unraid VM, then do the same process.

I had to change my approach when I discovered that the newly-shucked WD drives were marked unmountable by Unraid when put into the desired enclosures.

Since I was going to replace the computer anyway, I pulled everything out of the house. I got the SFF PC that will be used out of storage, put all the drives into MediaSonic Probox enclosures (nice units for a little over $100), and hit the road, still pondering how I was going to do this.

While rolling down US-59 with the music going, I realized that I was going about this backwards.  (Especially when I realized I left the Unraid flash drive in storage.)  Since I was going to spin up a new server anyway, why not start completely clean?  So, I effectively did what JorgeB said (before I read his post). I formatted the 3 16TB drives using UD and created the array, and I am now happily copying files to it.

When I get to the two newly shucked drives, I suspect that UD will be able to read them directly.  If not, I do have the USB to SATA PC boards that were in the enclosure, which I *know* it can read.

For expediency in setting up, I am running without parity. After all, I have everything already on the other drives. What kind of speed hit could I expect if I was running with parity? My guess is that it would cut the write speed in half. Just curious.

• 3 months later...
  • Solution

For those who stumble across this while searching, this is what I ended up doing, after much trial and error.  (Much error.)

1. Disabled parity.

2. Attach the 3 new data drives to the array (format, etc.)

3. Created a new share (imaginatively named "clone") and set it exclusively to the new drives.  I didn't need to lock out the new drives for the existing shares, as nothing was being written to the server during this time.

4. Open a root terminal window

5. rsync -av /mnt/user/sharename /mnt/user/clone/sharename

6. Repeat step 5 for each share.

7. Profit!

Yes, I'm a CLI nerd.  The advantage of using rsync from the command line is that I could interrupt it at any time with a Ctrl-C (I'm in a truck; no spinning drives while the truck is rolling, please), and re-entering the command will pick up where it left off after a few seconds.