Add UEFI Memtest86 to Boot Menu for modern computers

Today I did a memory upgrade on my Unraid box and couldn't run the Memtest program on the boot menu. It hung at the point of stating "Loading /memtest".

From the Memtest website I downloaded the latest binaries - https://www.memtest.org/download/v6.10/mt86plus_6.10.binaries.zip

I extracted memtest64.efi file and put in the /boot directory of the Unraid USB stick. I then modified /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and added the following lines:

label Memtest86+ (UEFI)
  kernel /memtest64.efi

On reboot, the UEFI version ran successfully. I guess it was because the BIOS is UEFI the original did not work.

My recommendation would be to keep the old and add a UEFI one. It only adds 145kB to the USB drive.

• Upvote 2

Everybody knows that the memtest shipped with UNRAID is not really usable anymore on recent hardware.

There are no technical issues with updating (like you did).

But the licence for memtest changed a while back and now it is not allowed to bundle memtest to other non-public software. You are not allowed to put the recent versions onto the same stick with unraid, you need to create a seperate one.

Yeah, this sounds stupid for a private person, but can become really expensive for a company that gets sued.

31 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

Everybody knows that the memtest shipped with UNRAID is not really usable anymore on recent hardware.

Are you sure that "everybody" actually knows what Memtest is, let alone that the included in the install version is not compatible with EUFI?

Edited by Lolight

They should. The problem exists for years now already. I wonder, why limetech does not delete the old version from the stick because it is almost useless today.

(not only because of UEFI, but also because it cannot handle recent chipsets and CPUs anymore)

Edited by MAM59
6 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

They should. The problem exists for years now already. I wonder, why limetech does not delete the old version from the stick because it is almost useless today.

They could, if Limetech would bother to put a one-line disclaimer on the download page.

Edited by Lolight