My First Unraid Server Build

Hi everyone. 

I am building my first unraid server and I’ve managed to come up with a build that I think would be able to handle Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, and 1-2 VMs. 

I don’t have much experience in this but I do love me a huge case. 

Is there any changes I could make to my build or anything you would change. 

Build

Intel Core i9-13900k 

Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5-5200MHz 

Corsair iCUE H170i Elite LCD 420mm Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair HX1000 1000W 80 Plus Platinum Certified Fully Modular PSU 

SSD 1TB x 4 

6 x 18TB Seagate Iron Wolf Pros HDD (I have these already) 

Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition Super Tower Desktop Chassis

any advise would be appreciated. Not sure if I am overdoing it 😅

These are very powerful hardware. The only problem I can think about is expandability.

Your Z790 mobo comes with one PCIE_X16 slot and dual PCIE_X4 slots. You said you want to run 1-2 VMs on this machine, assuming you plan to add a graphic card on PCIE_X16, then you only left two PCIE_X4 slots for your future 10Gig card and SAS controller cards for sata expansion(you already used all 6 SATA ports on mobo). 10Gig cards on x4 is more expensive and most SAS controller cards are running on x8.

An alternative would be mobo with on-board 10Gig ethernet ports, which will save you a pcie slot. Then use sata expansion card if you want to add HDDs in the future.

• Like 1

These are very powerful hardware. The only problem I can think about is expandability.

Your Z790 mobo comes with one PCIE_X16 slot and dual PCIE_X4 slots. You said you want to run 1-2 VMs on this machine, assuming you plan to add a graphic card on PCIE_X16, then you only left two PCIE_X4 slots for your future 10Gig card and SAS controller cards for sata expansion(you already used all 6 SATA ports on mobo). 10Gig cards on x4 is more expensive and most SAS controller cards are running on x8.
An alternative would be mobo with on-board 10Gig ethernet ports, which will save you a pcie slot. Then use sata expansion card if you want to add HDDs in the future.

^ This

Would it be possible to start with used hardware until you know what you really want to do with your unraid server. It took me 4 years to figure it all out and now that i'm settled i realize i don't need a €800 pc. Yes, your needs may be different then mine but an 8th or 10th gen i7 with 16gb ram can be very capable and bought for €150 (in europe)

What vm's are you planning to run?
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the better answer here would be "What are you doing, or want to be doing, with your server?"

If it's just a couple VM's(gaming or productivity?), and the standard plex/ *aaarrrrs set up then no, you do not need those specs:

13900k is excessive and unnecessary (i5 13500 with UHD770 is a good alternative)

liquid cooling is usually bad idea because of the potential for pump failure. (go for a AK620 or a even a hyper 212 if you go for the i5)

128GB of RAM is excessive (go 32GB or 64GB for now, expand IF you need to later)

I would highly recommend the fractal design 7 xl vs the case you have picked out here.  More space, more sound dampening, etc...

• Upvote 1