Ability to selfhost Unraid Connect

SuberSeb

The whole point (for many of users) of hosting a server at home (work, etc) is to using selfhosted services, manage data locally and to not send it everywhere and to everyone, etc. Is there a option to selfhost Unraid Connect? Or will be it planned in the futute? Many of us want to manage data by ourselves and do not trust to third party people or services in matter of data - this is the basis and the whole point of selfhosting.

Also many of us have a lot of skills and can easily deploy such kind of service on VPS, on another server or somewhere else (I mean Unraid Connect) and configure network for secure access.

For now we do not have an option to use best practices in security and privacy for Unraid Connect.

For example with networking technologies, you can selfhost TP-Link Omada controller or Ubiquiti controller, why not Unraid Connect?

Regards, Unraid user.

Edited by SuberSeb
  • Confused 3

i think you said the whole point:

5 hours ago, SuberSeb said:

Also many of us have a lot of skills and can easily deploy such kind of service on VPS

if you are someone of this, you don't need unraid connect and host your own services, there are many ways to do this.

looks like unraid connect is for people who are looking for quick overview or don't have the skill to host services like this.

That is one of the greate thinks with OS's like Unraid: You can do it your own way.

• Upvote 1

You already have an entire backup server which is what you want and more? I assume a intergrated backup service for the whole server would be nice and solve what you are asking. It would be nice to backup to a location via unraid direct instead of finding dockers/apps

19 hours ago, sonic6 said:

if you are someone of this, you don't need unraid connect and host your own services, there are many ways to do this.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but you don't get my point. Please re-read the original post.

My point is to let an ability to selfhost Unraid Connect service and to not force people to rely on third party clouds. Many of us don't trust clouds (even if cloud from Unraid developers) and want to control everything. If you want to use Unraid Connect, you don't have options here and you have to loose some control over your services and data.

19 hours ago, sonic6 said:

looks like unraid connect is for people who are looking for quick overview or don't have the skill to host services like this.

I think it's not a big deal to publish a docker image or a VM image in the future and make some freedom to those who don't want rely on third party cloud services (which Unraid connect is, basically it's a cloud service).

Edited by SuberSeb
14 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

If you want to use Unraid Connect, you don't have options here and you have to loose some control over your services and data.

You have.

Set up your own ReverseProxy and do your own Service.

Google will also not publish a selfhost "Google Drive". But you can use other similar Serverices selfhosted. It is the same with Unraid Connect. It isn't for selfhost, but you will find a similar solution for you.

17 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but you don't get my point.

I got what you meant, but Unraid Connect isn't what you expected.

I meant, when you are someone who are skilled enough hosting a VPS, then you can search and find your own solution and don't need Unraid Connect.

2 minutes ago, sonic6 said:

You have.

Please send me a link how can I selfhost Unraid Connect.

Also do not confuse one with another. Reverse proxy, Google Drive? It's does not apply to Unraid Connect and it's not an alternative.

Also setting up reverse proxy on server dashboard? It's insane in the matter of network security. Use VPN instead.

2 minutes ago, sonic6 said:

I meant, when you are someone who are skilled enough hosting a VPS, then you can search and find your own solution and don't need Unraid Connect.

I want to selfhost Unraid Connect. Like a dashboard for my servers.

A good example with networking. You can selfhost Omada or Ubiquity controllers, why not Unraid Connect? 

• Confused 1

srsly? for short and stupid (sorry for that). Unraid Connect is a simple Cloud Service and isn't made for selfhost. I don't understand people like you... there is a simple service for beginners, not more not less.

If you are a beginner, use it.

If you are a "skilled user" search for another selfhost solution.

Edited by sonic6
  • Confused 1
6 minutes ago, sonic6 said:

for short and stupid.

Rude. Moderators, please check. It's a violation of forum rules.

Unraid Connect is a simple Cloud Service and isn't made for selfhost.

And it's bad. Why not make a selfhost alternative? I'm not talking about making it opensource. Just an ability to selfhost.

You can selfhost Omada, you can selfhost Ubiquity. It's the same.

there is a simple service for beginners, not more not less.

Not only beginners use Unraid. There a lot of qualified engineers here.

If you are a "skilled user" search for another selfhost solution.

Since I paid for Unraid 3 times, I want to use it. Please do not decide what I want or don't want.

P.S. If you don't understand my point, please stop spamming me. Don't waste my time if you have nothing to say about discussion. It was a question to Unraid developers, not for a "community".

Edited by SuberSeb
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, SuberSeb said:

My point is to let an ability to selfhost Unraid Connect service and to not force people to rely on third party clouds. Many of us don't trust clouds (even if cloud from Unraid developers) and want to control everything.

I think this is not going to happen.

Also setting up reverse proxy on server dashboard? It's insane in the matter of network security. Use VPN instead.

If you want to control everything then why not use a reverse proxy with Authelia (not Authy) and Duo, this is a pretty safe way to access you GUI(s).

In no offense, but the initial post implicated the following, if you have the knowledge to host something like that you could also create something like Connect yourself.

If you want to use Unraid Connect, you don't have options here and you have to loose some control over your services and data.

That's maybe correct but I'm not to sure about that, if you don't want to use it because you don't trust it then don't do it <- I still get the point, you want to use it, but please read until the end.

I think it's not a big deal to publish a docker image or a VM image in the future and make some freedom to those who don't want rely on third party cloud services (which Unraid connect is, basically it's a cloud service).

Yes, but don't forget the hours of development and manpower was used to create Connect and the API for it.

Connect was created to make Unraid better and easier to use for not only less experienced users. In my opinion it's a cool feature that you can use to make your experience better.

And it's bad. Why not make a selfhost alternative? I'm not talking about making it opensource. Just an ability to selfhost.

Just take into consideration if one is hosting Connect and advertises it as official and injects some malicious code to it to read the data from users this would be pretty bad or better speaking very very very bad.

Unraid Connect is designed to be a cloud service and you are basically becoming a cloud service provider when hosting it yourself and yes you are a cloud service provider if you are hosting it for yourself because you are hosting it on a VPS basically the Cloud <- not local.

Not only beginners use Unraid. There a lot of qualified engineers here.

TBH, I like Connect but I also have to say that I never used MyServers before, just took a quick look at MyServers back then but I could imagine that I will use Connect in the future to control my servers and test my plugins/containers if everything is working as expected.

Since I paid for Unraid 3 times, I want to use it. Please do not decide what I want or don't want.

The following is my personal opinion:

Even if you've paid for 3 Licenses where unlimited updates from the OS are included without any paid subscription whatsoever, a easy to use WebUI for Docker, VMs, visual improvements over time, no need for a active internet connection, no data collection, completely self-hosted and so on...

...but the thing that you forget that this is a Plugin and not part of the base OS.

You can use it, but you don't have to use it since it's a Plugin.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ich777 said:

I think this is not going to happen.

Ok. This is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Moderators, please close the thread if you prefer.

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

If you want to control everything then why not use a reverse proxy with Authelia (not Authy) and Duo, this is a pretty safe way to access you GUI(s).

Personally I prefer VPN for administration as it's one of the the best practices. Proxy only for services like Nextcloud, Plex, etc.

5 minutes ago, ich777 said:

In my opinion it's a cool feature that you can use to make your experience better.

For many of users, agree.

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Just take into consideration if one is hosting Connect and advertises it as official and injects some malicious code to it to read the data from users this would be pretty bad or better speaking very very very bad

But it's relies on the end user. For me, it's not a big deal, use only official service or the one which you hosting by yourself. Do not use service you don't trust.

10 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Connect but I also have to say that I never used MyServers before, just took a quick look at MyServers back then but I could imagine that I will use Connect

I have tried it long time ago and it was a disaster. API was failing multiple times a day and I have to disable it because it didn't seems reliable at that time. I know it was a beta, but still.

21 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Sorry but I have to say that, even if you've paid for 3 Licenses

But a lot of things is not quite good and reliable yet. SAS drives spindown was broken ages ago and not working still, technical support is very limited (most of my questions I resolved by myself, no one helped me from the community), many OS features is a third party plugins which can stop working or being updated at any time, etc, etc, etc.

But from 3.5 years of Unraid experience, it's ok. No need to migrate for me to anything else right now.

But it's become a little annoying that every major update focuses on cloud services like MyServers or Connect. From the past 2 years, only Pools and ZFS was added (big features)? Not so much. And security updates were very rare. Also I have concerns that Unraid will require in the future active internet connection and Unraid online account and authentication working 24/7.

Edited by SuberSeb
30 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

But it's relies on the end user. For me, it's not a big deal

Exactly that's the issue here, for you it's not a big deal but for not that experienced users it can be a issue, just saying... :)

36 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

I have tried it long time ago and it was a disaster. API was failing multiple times a day and I have to disable it because it didn't seems reliable at that time. I know it was a beta, but still.

From my testing it is working good, but keep in mind that in the coming next weeks bugs which are reported will be fixed.

29 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

But a lot of things is not quite good and reliable yet.

I can't say that for myself but that is, again my experience with it...

30 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

many OS features is a third party plugins which can stop working or being updated at any time, etc, etc, etc.

Sure, the upside from a community plugin is that it extends the base OS but you are correct if a community developer decides to deprecate a plugin it will be no longer maintained/supported

But on the other hand even if a community developer deprecates a community plugin someone else would be able to fork the plugin, release it again with more features improvements and in this supportive and active community over here it is most likely the case that this will happen if a plugin is deprecated, see for example, Appdata Backup, GPU Statistics, Corsair PSU Statistics,...

36 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

But it's become a little annoying that every major update focuses on cloud services like MyServers or Connect.

The main focus on 6.12.0 is to add basic ZFS support and in terms of Unraid this was a big change and well wanted feature request.

Connect was strictly released in the release cycle of 6.11.x

39 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

Also I have concerns that Unraid will require in the future active internet connection and Unraid online account and authentication working 24/7.

I don't think that this will happen and even if not for existing license, but again don't get me wrong I still think that this won't happen since this will upset many users and this would also mean a really big change to the OS where many things with licensing need to be changed.

49 minutes ago, SuberSeb said:

Moderators, please close the thread if you prefer.

This is a discussion thread and will be left open. ;)

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2023 at 2:29 AM, ich777 said:

Been thinking about deploying authelia for a while now, can i ask why not use Authy?  I have both but want to know if there is a particular reason to avoid authy.

26 minutes ago, OmegaXis said:

can i ask why not use Authy

Authy is completly different from Authelia.

Authy is for accessing your 2FA tokens for logins to web apps

Authelia is for securing web apps and putting it infront of you web apps

I‘ve never said to avoid Authy, I pointed it out because it is for a completely different use case.

Authelia was meant in this specific use case to secure the WebGUI and you simply can‘t do that with Authy because of above reasons, you can login to a website with your token but you can‘t secure a web site with Authy.

41 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Authy is completly different from Authelia.

Authy is for accessing your 2FA tokens for logins to web apps

Authelia is for securing web apps and putting it infront of you web apps

I‘ve never said to avoid Authy, I pointed it out because it is for a completely different use case.

Authelia was meant in this specific use case to secure the WebGUI and you simply can‘t do that with Authy because of above reasons, you can login to a website with your token but you can‘t secure a web site with Authy.

so would it be possible to use authelia and authy instead of duo?

8 hours ago, OmegaXis said:

so would it be possible to use authelia and authy instead of duo?

I don‘t know if you can set up Authy in Authelia, I always thought that Authy is to manage your already existing 2FAs or am I wrong?

This is also a thing you could/should look up in the documentation from Authelia.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 12:18 AM, nuhll said:

instead why not give us a simple way to backup that stuff to a ftp server or something.

Not on drugs at all... ;)

But may I ask what backups via FTP (or probably something else) have in common with Unraid Connect...? Just asking of course... :D