It's Built.... Now What? (SOLVED)

So I've finally got my unRAID server put together but now am struggling to ensure I'll do everything right on the software side of things.  There is a lot of good information out, but that's part of the problem... reading around I've came across conflicting information, dated information, etc. so I was hoping to list my plan of attack and see if anyone has any input/suggestions.  First my setup .....

1 - Kingston DataTraveler 100 Generation 2 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

1 - BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

1 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS

1 - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

1 - SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

5 - HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (used as data drives)

2 - HITACHI Deskstar H3IK30003272SW (0S03208) 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s (one for parity drive and one for cache drive)

* - Misc. cords to hook up hard drives, 5.25" to 3.5" bay coverter, gigabit wireless router, etc.

and now the questions.....

1.  Is there any reason I shouldn't boot to just the BIOS?  Before setting up unRAID I'd like to just make sure everything powers up and is recognized.  Also will the BIOS tell me what firmware the supermicro card has on it?

2.  I've seen conflicting information on setting up the USB drive for unRAID, through the lime-tech site I see about formatting the drive, renaming, etc. but then on Rajahal how to blog I see mention of "UNetbootin".  Not sure if one method has advantage over the other or I'm just missing something and the UNetbootin set up is something completely different.

3.  I've also read that is seem like some people are having issues with Beta10 and parity checks.  I'm needing to use unRAID 5 so I can use all 3T of my drives but should I consider going with Beta9 over Beta10?

4.  Even though I'll start out with the free version, will I still be able to preclear all seven drives, even though I'll only be able to assign three of them?

Once again I have more question but my brain has went blank, thanks in advance for your input.

1.  Is there any reason I shouldn't boot to just the BIOS?  Before setting up unRAID I'd like to just make sure everything powers up and is recognized.  Also will the BIOS tell me what firmware the supermicro card has on it?

go into the SASLP BIOS and disable INT13

2.  I've seen conflicting information on setting up the USB drive for unRAID, through the lime-tech site I see about formatting the drive, renaming, etc. but then on Rajahal how to blog I see mention of "UNetbootin".  Not sure if one method has advantage over the other or I'm just missing something and the UNetbootin set up is something completely different.

That blog post talked about an alternate way of doing it.  It is mostly useful for Mac people who do not have access to a windows machine.  For example, I can not use the make_bootable.bat file to make the flash drive as I do not have easy access to a Windows machine.  I wrote those guides to give an alternate way of making the USB flash drive.

3.  I've also read that is seem like some people are having issues with Beta10 and parity checks.  I'm needing to use unRAID 5 so I can use all 3T of my drives but should I consider going with Beta9 over Beta10?

You can try beta10 and see what happens.  "Backing up" a version to beta9 will not be difficult if you are running beta10.

4.  Even though I'll start out with the free version, will I still be able to preclear all seven drives, even though I'll only be able to assign three of them?

Yes

Thanks!  I tend to over think things.... I'm assuming about the worst that can happen is I'd lose my data, but considering it's a fresh build that won't much matter.  In my mind I envision powering up, followed by a large carter where my house use to sit because I did something wrong.

• 3 months later...

not to wake the old thread :-)

but want to add my 2 cents

I am in the same spot right now.

have my spanking new build just seating there next to my main PC

per-clearing the drives (1st pass is almost done after 24 hours  :o :o :o :o)

but I was not as paranoid as you  ;D,

I just build it,  stick the flash in USB and boot up  8) 8) 8)

Archived