Ethernet controllers in use by a VM that does not exist.

Hi, I will try to be as detailed as I can. I am using Unraid Version: 6.11.5

I created a VM to use with pfsense and I passed through 2 ethernet controllers:

IOMMU group 24:[10ec:8168] 0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

IOMMU group 18:[10ec:8168] 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

I first went to system devices in tools and I clicked the white box beside each of the two controllers and after I had a little green symbol and they appeared in the available devices to be passed to a VM.
I created the VM and then selected the above controllers to pass through, started the VM installed pfsense and it worked perfectly.

I was creating various docker containers pertaining to pterodactyl game server, all docker containers were from the apps tab in unraid.

I made some configuration mistakes and decided to reset. I used 'unassigned devices' plugin and deleted the drives partition tables and used the 'factory reset' plugin to reset the machine.

When I made a new VM the two controllers were not available to be passed through, they now do not have a green symbol and I have no obvious option to interact with them.

Can anyone help with a command that can release them? I will attach the diagnostics.

gamehost-diagnostics-20230429-0359.zip

Edited by Psyonus
  • Psyonus changed the title to Ethernet controllers in use by a VM that does not exist.

Hi, your goal is to isolate the controllers from unraid to be used in a vm or somewhere else?

Because now the 2 controllers use the r8169 driver in unraid.

To be able to use them in a vm (for exampl) you need to attach them to vfio driver.

Go to tools --> system devices, put a checkmark for iommu groups 18 and 24.

Reboot unraid.

After reboot the controllers will be isolated and they could be used for a vm.

Note that for this to work, you need to configure unraid network with other controller(s) than that devices otherwise the two boxes will be greyed out because the 2 devices are in use by the host.