Migrating into new case and changing/adding drives

27 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

OK, I looked at my drives and some did not even report Attribute 188 and others had results greater than zero.   Thinking back, 188 is a special case.  Unraid is reporting a decimal number but the actual value(s) may be a hexadecimal string.  What you have  to do is to google something like this:

seagate  ST6000VN001 attribute 188

In my case, Google did give this as a result:

https://superuser.com/questions/1747844/interpreting-seagate-smart-value-188-command-timeout-data-format

Hopefully, you will find something similiar.  The problem with SMART is that is not a standard but more of a guideline and the various manufacturers have implemented it differently.  (I believe that Attribute #1 has similiar issues.)  Remember that you are using this as another tool to be used to try to decide which disk to replace next.  Don't assume that that it should be your only decision making tool.

I just re looked over it, most drives on Attribute one also have values over 0. Under 'failed' it says never. So what do you look out for? a combination of these numbers starting to rise? Or is it really the bad sector and unrecoverable sector count?

2 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Is a short smart self test sufficient or should one always run extended tests?

If you are running the SMART tests then any failure is an indication that the disk needs replacing.   The Short test is so much quicker than the extended test that you probably want to start with it, but only the Extended test is a thorough one.

Ok so all good, everything up, phew that took a while! So moving forward will my monthly parity checks do both he parity drives at the same time? Can i expect the parity check to take as long as the Parity rebuild because if that is the case i may have to spread it across two nights?

4 hours ago, shazza6887 said:

Ok so all good, everything up, phew that took a while! So moving forward will my monthly parity checks do both he parity drives at the same time? Can i expect the parity check to take as long as the Parity rebuild because if that is the case i may have to spread it across two nights?

Any parity operation will do both parity drives in parallel.   The time is likely to be the same as the parity build which with modern large drives can be quite extensive.

You may want to install the parity Check Tuning plugin if you want more control than is given by the Unraid built-in options.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Any parity operation will do both parity drives in parallel.   The time is likely to be the same as the parity build which with modern large drives can be quite extensive.

You may want to install the parity Check Tuning plugin if you want more control than is given by the Unraid built-in options.

Will the standard plugin say let me do 50% one night and the remaining 50% the following night?

46 minutes ago, shazza6887 said:

Will the standard plugin say let me do 50% one night and the remaining 50% the following night?

When you split up the parity check (either using standard functionality or the plugin) the split is done on a time basis rather than a %.  This makes sense anyway as the check speed is not constant (e.g. it slows down as inner tracks are reached).  

The plugin allows for additional factors to be taken into account such as whether mover is running to adversely affect each others performance.

27 minutes ago, itimpi said:

When you split up the parity check (either using standard functionality or the plugin) the split is done on a time basis rather than a %.  This makes sense anyway as the check speed is not constant (e.g. it slows down as inner tracks are reached).  

The plugin allows for additional factors to be taken into account such as whether mover is running to adversely affect each others performance.

Ahh that makes sense! So split it into rough estimates. Awesome thank you kindly Sir!

Typically, you would let parity check run during idle hours, such as at night. Parity check will affect performance of any other access, and any other access will affect performance of parity check. My 8TB parity check is scheduled monthly, runs from midnight to 6am, and finishes on the third night. Scheduled parity checks should be non-correcting.

Noticed early in the thread you mentioned hot swap. Hot swap with Unraid is not useful except perhaps for unassigned devices. You can't replace a drive with hot swap, because Unraid won't do anything with the new drive until you assign it, and you can't assign a drive with the array started. So best to power down to replace drives.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Typically, you would let parity check run during idle hours, such as at night. Parity check will affect performance of any other access, and any other access will affect performance of parity check. My 8TB parity check is scheduled monthly, runs from midnight to 6am, and finishes on the third night. Scheduled parity checks should be non-correcting.

Noticed early in the thread you mentioned hot swap. Hot swap with Unraid is not useful except perhaps for unassigned devices. You can't replace a drive with hot swap, because Unraid won't do anything with the new drive until you assign it, and you can't assign a drive with the array started. So best to power down to replace drives.

I ended up giving up on the hot swap, any reason why the scheduled parity checks should be non correcting? what happens when you have sync errors if ever after a parity check?

You don't want automatic parity checks to change parity if there is some other problem that might be causing the sync errors. After you get sync errors from a non-correcting check, you can try to determine the cause and then decide on the correct course of action for the sync errors.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

You don't want automatic parity checks to change parity if there is some other problem that might be causing the sync errors. After you get sync errors from a non-correcting check, you can try to determine the cause and then decide on the correct course of action for the sync errors.

Ok i have turned off auto corrections in the scheduler, i have also enabled cumulative checks turned onto 'daily' with a 7 hour duration so hopefully over 2 nights it does the trick!

On the main tab next to 'CHECK' under 'Stop' there is still the blue tick 'write corrections to parity' is this only enabled for a manual parity check or in the case of a dirty power off?

1 hour ago, shazza6887 said:

On the main tab next to 'CHECK' under 'Stop' there is still the blue tick 'write corrections to parity' is this only enabled for a manual parity check or in the case of a dirty power off?

The automatic check after an unclean shutdown is non-correcting.  You normally only want to run correcting checks manually.

On 6/1/2023 at 1:31 AM, itimpi said:

The automatic check after an unclean shutdown is non-correcting.  You normally only want to run correcting checks manually.

I am just finishing up the parity check after 2 nights its at 92%, funny enough first time i have ever seen sync errors? i have (5) i don't know if this is caused by a partial parity check one night, then adding data while its been paused then continuing the parity check over the second night? The first night it got to 53% and i saw no errors.

So now i just don't add anything else, make sure all cables are set run a grueling correcting check and then re check again? there goes 4 days i guess?

9 minutes ago, trurl said:

You seemed to be having connection problems on disks 2, 6. Check those and try again with another non-correcting parity check.

Really strange, they are both connected fine and they are off different sas to sata runs. They are both on the (p1) cables though funny enough

Edited by shazza6887
extra info
23 hours ago, trurl said:

You seemed to be having connection problems on disks 2, 6. Check those and try again with another non-correcting parity check.

Ok So just got back home, its found the same 5 errors again, at this point i just go ahead and perform a correcting check?