HandBrake Front End Apps

kizer

I'm a regular windows user so of course I find it easy when I find apps that help me do what I want to do. I'm getting ready to go on a trip and of course I want to take my iPad with me so the boys can have something to do on the 2 1/2 day road trip. I began converting some of my flicks over to mv4 opposed to using some of the apps on the apple market. I noticed that they either didn't function just right or there appeared to be some audio problems.

Tinkering around on Handbrakes website I found a link to this website.

http://videoscripts.wordpress.com/downloads/

From there I noticed he had a few cool apps that acted as front ends for handbrake to an extent.

My favorites so far are:

Handbrake Batch Encoder - Click a file and push a button it does the rest. I found a bit of info on his site that says if you add autorun in a shortcut or in a scheduled task it will look in a specified folder and run.

WatchFolder - Watches a folder for files and encodes all of them to you specified settings. You don't have to setup a new que everytime you want to do an encode. Just drop, it scans and encodes.

So far I've done 5 or 6 movies flawlessly with zero time looking at the Handbrake interface. Click and done.

I'm fully aware there is a Handbrake script that can be deployed on unRAID, but I'd rather let my machine do what it does best and let my other machines do what they do best.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with the Handbrake Batch on the Mac:

http://www.osomac.com/apps/osx/handbrake-batch/

Pros:

Very simple: load in the files, choose a preset, go.

Output looks good.

Cons:

No options to mess with (rarely, there are some files that need pref tweaking to play nicely with my ancient 5.1).

Can't discern which version of Handbrake is under the hood. Which I find a bit disconcerting. I probably don't need to know, but I feel I should know.

• 2 years later...