Help: Understanding HBA\\Expander\\Mother Board Built in SATA Ports

Hi currently i am Using LSI-9300-16i HBA+Adaptec 82885T Expander, and maximizing my Array Slots.

My Questions are as follow

1.) In my head if i keep all the drives connection in the HBA+Expander combo i will get better speed and latency vs The MotherBoard Built In SATA Ports is there a reality to this? because i am thinking that if every operation is being handled by the hba then everything is being handled by the PCI-E and no need to communicate with the motherboards PCH and i think that will add a small delay or maybe a performance penalty.

2.) Now that 6.12 is imminent and multiple array support is incoming i plan to further expand my array and add another expander(the same expander as i have now) the question is what would be the better connection for the optimal performance?

a.) Should i plug both expander to the HBA using dual connection and balance the HDD SAS connection on both Expander?

b.) Use MotherBoard SATA + "a.)" approach to reduce the load and so i can add more HDD's

c.) Use The First Expander's (External)SFF-8644 Ports to Connect with the second Expander (dual link) then connect the First Expander to the HBA another dual link.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...