Hardware Configuration for IDE SATA mix

hypyke

I am building my UNRAID system now and need some advice.  I am ordering the Stacker case and I already have the approved intel motherboard with the 2 ide and 2 sata connectors and the gigabit LAN.  Proc and memory installed and working.

Prob is I have a mix of drives.  Currently I have 11 total.

7 x 300 IDE Seagates

2 x 300 SATA (1 SEAGATE and 1 Maxtor)

2 x 320 SATA Seagates

So 4 SATA and 7 IDE with a possible 12th IDE I have to clean off. (A 400 GIG IDE SEAGATE)

How would I do this?  I assume 1 promise IDE and 1 Promise SATA.  Will that work?  I can only find the  PROMISE SATA300 TX4 and not the SATA150 as previously mentioned.  Will that work?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. 

The Beta does have SATA but there is only one controller mentioned.  That is why I asked about the other.  I've done the search and that's why I posted.  My impression of the posts I have read is that mixed configs will work but I wanted some confirmation and perhaps news of some gotchas.

• 1 month later...

Tom,

So, would be able to make SATA1 our parity drive, and SATA1 disk1 and then just move down the chain with the PATA drives??  Also, would I be able to do this on an array that is up and running smoothly? I have a 500 and 400 gb SATA that I would love to throw into the system... use the 500 for parity.

Thank you

-Mike

With the impending implementation of greater SATA support, is there a chance that the starter kit will be offered with one IDE and one SATA card.  I have the usual mixture of drives lying around.  I am on the verge of getting a server system but would like to use the drives that I have.  I could put together a system like this but if such a starter kit was offered it would save me some time.

Also, I'm interested in other motherboards that work with unraid.  I know that this has been done once but it would be helpful if anyone using a different MB would reply and tell how much of a pain it was to get the system up and running. 

Tom,

So, would be able to make SATA1 our parity drive, and SATA1 disk1 and then just move down the chain with the PATA drives??

Yes.

Also, would I be able to do this on an array that is up and running smoothly? I have a 500 and 400 gb SATA that I would love to throw into the system... use the 500 for parity.

Yes, but you would have to "Reset array configuration" first and re-build parity.  Of course data on your existing drives would remain intact.

With the impending implementation of greater SATA support, is there a chance that the starter kit will be offered with one IDE and one SATA card.  I have the usual mixture of drives lying around.  I am on the verge of getting a server system but would like to use the drives that I have.  I could put together a system like this but if such a starter kit was offered it would save me some time.

Also, I'm interested in other motherboards that work with unraid.  I know that this has been done once but it would be helpful if anyone using a different MB would reply and tell how much of a pain it was to get the system up and running. 

We're in the process of updating our product offerings.