Split Level - Not using other drives?

Just setting up unRAID for the first time and right now I am just messing around with the settings to better understand how it works.  Right now I have just 2 data drives with no parity.  I am testing out Split Level.  So for TV Shows, I have High Water and Level set at 3.

TV SHOWS

---- Dexter

----------Season 01

---------------Episode.avi

So I would at level 3, it would create TV SHOWS on both drives, and then also include DEXTER, and a SEASON on each drive if necessary.  Episodes within each season would remain on a single drive.

Am I missing something?

I get nothing showing up on drive 2.  Nothing at all....completely empty.

What are the drive sizes and how much have you written to the 1st drive?  High water is calculated at 1/2 the size of the largest disk, so it  will write to the first drive until its 50% utilized.  Then it will move to drive 2, drive 3, etc, each time writing until 50% full (assuming they are all the same size).  Then it does 1/2 again, so it would write to the 1st drive until 75% full, then drive 2, etc.  So until you get the first drive 50% full, you won't see anything on the 2nd drive.

What are the drive sizes and how much have you written to the 1st drive?  High water is calculated at 1/2 the size of the largest disk, so it  will write to the first drive until its 50% utilized.  Then it will move to drive 2, drive 3, etc, each time writing until 50% full (assuming they are all the same size).  Then it does 1/2 again, so it would write to the 1st drive until 75% full, then drive 2, etc.  So until you get the first drive 50% full, you won't see anything on the 2nd drive.

That's it then.  They are both 2 TB drives with only about 20% used. 

Archived