Wiki broken, lots of dead links?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi, i am researching unraid and i stumbled on lots of dead links when researching, especially considering the licensing and what to do when you have a Dead USB drive.

these links listed here all all dead: https://wiki.unraid.net/Best_of_the_Forums#Hail_to_the_Chief_.28Posts_from_Tom.29

this is empty too: https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

I have prior experience with Appliances that use a read only USB sticks and i know that they are more likely to fail than SSDs, even when read only. USB sticks are simply not made for great data retention, but to transport data from Computer A to B. Newer TLC flash has just a few month of Data retention, especially at elevated temperatures and unlike in SSDs, USB drives mostly don't do a cell refresh after a few months while powered on. So i would really like to have an image of the stick always laying around in case my NAS would not boot anymore to recreate it.

I am new to unraid and am stuck in deciding between this or truenas core. I have prior experience with ZFS, but i really prefer the low power capabilities with spindown etc. when running unraid. But this is really what it comes down to:

- How secure is the future of unraid compared to an Open Source Product like truenas which will always be developed and supported further?

- How safe is my license? What if i can't reach anyone at Truenas, what if they stop operating? And how long does it take to get support to create a new flash drive with the old license assuming the support is reachable?

- How is the recovery procedure if anything dies? Can i replace the hardware and it will come up again? How good is the degraded performance? How long does say a 8TB RAID resync take? Can i connect any of the harddisks to a Linux PC and just get direct access to my Data or is there anything proprietary?

best regards, David

Edited by MaksDampf
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Old wiki from old versions.

Go to the Documentation link at the bottom of the forum

Isn't Version 6 recent? Second empty link is from the recent version i think.

Okay ty! I found out the links are actually not entirely dead but just broken.

Somebody changed the domain of the forum to forums.unraid.net and forgot to rename all links in the wiki which are linked to unraid.net/forums. It would be good to restore the old domain as a link/redirect or rename all those on the wiki just for future internet users like me that come via search engines 😅

I navigated the Documentation manually now like you told me and found some interesting things. Menus and Subemnus is not how i usually use the Internet, but at least it works.

I found that Unraid 6.12 will support ZFS natively - great news!

As i want to start with triple 8TB Disks anyways (Raid Z1), the benefit of a normal non-raid Pool with a parity disk would be fairly limited anyways. I currently don't have a larger Disk for Parity, so when i upgrade i will most likely buy 3 entirely new disks anyway.  Would anybody suggest keeping hands off ZFS for now, or would you go for it considering my fairly weak hardware (Apollo Lake, 8gb or maybe i'll upgrade to 16GB RAM)? I was thinking of a microserver Gen8 too, but its power draw has been off-putting for me and i doubt it is that much faster as i am still using Gbit Lan and AC wifi.

Need to read a little more to get into this. But thx for the quick help so far!

Edited by MaksDampf
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2023 at 9:23 AM, trurl said:

Old wiki from old versions.

Go to the Documentation link at the bottom of the forum

On 5/9/2023 at 10:49 AM, MaksDampf said:

Okay ty! I found out the links are actually not entirely dead but just broken.

Somebody changed the domain of the forum to forums.unraid.net and forgot to rename all links in the wiki which are linked to unraid.net/forums. It would be good to restore the old domain as a link/redirect or rename all those on the wiki just for future internet users like me that come via search engines 😅

Hot off the press, docs.unraid.net is live as our new Documentation site:

https://unraid.net/blog/new-unraid-documentation

• Like 1