How important is ECC memory?

I want to build a new Unraid server and want to start off the best way.

Should I look for ECC memory or non-ECC ?

I am starting with an AMD CPU - which requires a "Pro" version to support ECC. Because of that there are limited options but for example I can get a Ryzen Pro 7 4750 or a Ryzen Pro 5 4650 within my budget.  Part of the use of the Unraid server would be for backups so data integrity is important. A database like mySQL  for some large data, maybe a VM or two.

Should I get a CPU supporting ECC, like the Ryzen 5 4650 for hopeful data integrity or go for ease, speed and cost benefit like a Ryzen 7 5700G?

My 2 cents as a non-expert:

If you want to reduce the risk of data loss as much as possible, then ECC RAM will help. How much it will help is the big question. I haven't seen any empirical evidence of the benefit of ECC RAM.

I believe it's entirely possible that you could run your server for years with non-ECC RAM and never have an issue that ECC RAM could have avoided. It's a bit like travel insurance - you could fly many times and never have a problem. But if disaster strikes, you (or at least your beneficiaries) will be very glad you had travel insurance.

If you have the budget and if you can get the components, then I would say go with ECC RAM.

Personally I do have ECC RAM, but am not sure I would get it for a new server. But that's because where I am it's difficult and/or expensive to get motherboards that support it. And honestly I got tired of trying to work out which AMD CPU/motherboard combinations actually officially support ECC RAM. OTOH, Intel solutions seem to be very expensive.

I believe it is recommended IF you are going to use ZFS.  Google   ZFX vs ECC ram   for 'discussions'!  (I suspect that most Unraid ZFS fans haven't considered that aspect yet...)

PS-----  As a disclosure, I am a member of that sect that believes that bitrot/bit-flipping does not occur on modern hard disks but rather in RAM before it is written to the hard disk.