New server case? (Alternative to Storinator?)

casperse

Hi All

I always wanted a Storinator case but the cost is just to high!

Lately I might have found a alternative, that might solve allot of my problems?

Most cases that have +36 drive bays and above only have half heights on PCie slots! (You cant even have a P2000 in it!)
Also the new CPU's are requiring allot more cooling, so having half the Hight for a fan cooler isn't really ideal.

So This might be a solution? (I would appreciate any input to possible problems?)

I am new to backplane extenders and not sure my existing HBA would be compatible with this case?

My HBA is a LSI Logic SAS 9305-24i Host Bus Adapter - x8, PCIe 3.0, 8000 MB/s 

Would this be able to utilize all these bays?

I also have, from my last build:

LSI Logic SAS 9201-8i PCI-e Controller / 9211-8i (IT-mode) / Full height bracket (2 connectors = 8 Sata)

LSI Logic SAS 9201-16i PCI-e 2.0 x8 SAS 6Gbs HBA Card (4 connectors = 16 Sata)

Again I really like the airflow and height of this case for a full height CPU air cooler!
and the 8 x 120mm fans (According to the specs) - noise is not an issue

High Dense Rack Mount 8U 72bay Top-loaded Storage Server Chassis

image.thumb.png.6d8505191e9e03a6ca33d1adffa9a0af.png

Edited by casperse

That's a beefy chassis. Expander backplanes should allow you to use a single cable per backplane to see the drives IIRC. You will need at least 2, maybe 3 cables to connect to it (not sure if they split the front into two backplanes or not).

I was looking at something similar from the same place for more storage with full height slots. However, I personally picked up a 36-bay supermicro superchassis and upgraded from a P2000 GPU to a Tesla P4 instead ($800 all in for the two).

Only issues I can think of would be related to shipping and availability of replacement parts / racking the damn thing.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:17 AM, OrneryTaurus said:

That's a beefy chassis. Expander backplanes should allow you to use a single cable per backplane to see the drives IIRC. You will need at least 2, maybe 3 cables to connect to it (not sure if they split the front into two backplanes or not).

I was looking at something similar from the same place for more storage with full height slots. However, I personally picked up a 36-bay supermicro superchassis and upgraded from a P2000 GPU to a Tesla P4 instead ($800 all in for the two).

Only issues I can think of would be related to shipping and availability of replacement parts / racking the damn thing.

$800 Nice price! (I haven't found anything in that pricerange) I did 'nt know about the Tesla 4 card but I have other cards and I dont want to replace them all with other ones that are 1/2 height 🙂
Also the future of cooling new CPU looks like it will requires bigger fans so the extra height would allow me to use something like a Noctua NH-D15.
Yes the shipping and quality of the case would be a risk I agree. But so was buying my last case from the UK and so far that has been working great
Old Norco RPC-4224 4U (UK SC-4324S) I am talking to them about another case with 36 drives that they claim have full PCie height?
I have written to them again and they say it is full height?

In-Win IW-RS436-07 - 2U Server Chassis with 36x SATA/SAS/NVMe Hot-Swap Bays - Includes 1200W CRPS Redundant PSU and Rail Kit - Server Case

I think this one is better build quality and the price of this i allot higher! But I will get 2xPSU (1200W) with me in this buy! (Not sure this would

have all the new power cables needed for new CPU's & Motherboards/GPU etc.

Drawbacks: "Only 36 drives and not room for the extreme high CPU fan coolers"

I just cant believe that this is really full height PCie? (The seller claims this, but the pictures doesn't look it? or does it?)
image.png.fb3a29f55d7e6059868fc907832d37b3.png

image.thumb.png.0a0908733c98e2905544998c6ab3e81b.png

So either go for this or try a the Innovision case?

Thanks for your feedback! @OrneryTaurus much appreciated!
I just really want one new case to "rule them all" the 72 is a beast and if the quality is ok, I might dare to roll the dice on it🙂 or buy some spare parts when ordering?
I could even have two Unraid servers running in the same case, and use the old server for backup and experimenting with Proxmox and VM's

Edited by casperse
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 11:30 PM, OrneryTaurus said:

That In-Win case is definitely half height slots as the design is exactly like a supermicro 36-bay. I would go with your original case.

Thanks @OrneryTaurus I actually confronted the seller again that kept claiming this was full height and she told me she got wrong info from the manufactor
So I am back to the old case and full extra height for a very big air cooler 🙂 just need to get a better deal.

They have 2000W PSU with redundancy but I have never had anything like this? It does support a normal PSU but I can get a dual setup for the same money?

On 6/22/2023 at 12:58 AM, casperse said:

Thanks @OrneryTaurus I actually confronted the seller again that kept claiming this was full height and she told me she got wrong info from the manufactor
So I am back to the old case and full extra height for a very big air cooler 🙂 just need to get a better deal.

They have 2000W PSU with redundancy but I have never had anything like this? It does support a normal PSU but I can get a dual setup for the same money?

That chassis does not support desktop power supplies. Best to buy at least one PSU from the manufacturer so you can utilize all the available connections it's intended to have.

Server grade power supply setups are intended to be hot swappable when you have redundancy to reduce downtime.

One thing to watch out for is what kind of power is needed for these PSUs. For my server, I have https://store.supermicro.com/1280w-1u-pws-1k28p-sq.html which have a rating of: 1000W: 100-140V; 1280W: 180-240V. Meaning I can only pump out 1000W of power when hooked up to a standard 120V / 15A circuit and plug. In order to get 1280W, I would need to have a 240V / 20A circuit and plug. Thankfully it supports both but that may not be the case for the 2000W PSU, it may require the 240V / 20A circuit and plug, this of course is providing it's a US plug setup.

10 hours ago, OrneryTaurus said:

That chassis does not support desktop power supplies. Best to buy at least one PSU from the manufacturer so you can utilize all the available connections it's intended to have.

Server grade power supply setups are intended to be hot swappable when you have redundancy to reduce downtime.

One thing to watch out for is what kind of power is needed for these PSUs. For my server, I have https://store.supermicro.com/1280w-1u-pws-1k28p-sq.html which have a rating of: 1000W: 100-140V; 1280W: 180-240V. Meaning I can only pump out 1000W of power when hooked up to a standard 120V / 15A circuit and plug. In order to get 1280W, I would need to have a 240V / 20A circuit and plug. Thankfully it supports both but that may not be the case for the 2000W PSU, it may require the 240V / 20A circuit and plug, this of course is providing it's a US plug setup.

That's a valid point (According to the vendor it should support a normal PSU (Replacing the dual server PSU's) but not sure this is the case (They have been wrong before)

6 hours ago, casperse said:

That's a valid point (According to the vendor it should support a normal PSU (Replacing the dual server PSU's) but not sure this is the case (They have been wrong before)

Based on the pictures, I don't see a mounting point for a desktop PSU except for on the right side. The size of the hole when you remove the extra panel looks like it could.

Looks big enough that even if it doesn't properly fit one, you could have one sitting there loose in it.