[6.11.5] What means "Enable user share assignment" on a pool exactly?

Something that puzzles me since a long time:

I do use a single device XFS pool called "pool_nvme". The root directory on this pool is called "system".

This "system" directory is not shown under the shares tab. But the entry "pool_nvme" is shown there. So there's no /mnt/user/system/. There's only /mnt/user/pool_nvme.

Why is it that way? I thought that all root folders become user shares - in the array and on pools?

Is it because of this pool setting (Enable user share assignment)?

30 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

There's only /mnt/user/pool_nvme.

Something is wrong in your description.    Pools should appear directly under /mnt *e.g. /mnt/pool_nvme).   Perhaps you should include a copy of your system's diagnostics zip file so we can actually see how you have things configured?

You can completely turn off User Shares via the global setting (and then nothing appears under /mnt/user) but you seem to think you have some sort of hybrid system.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Something is wrong in your description

Yes my fault:

/mnt/pool_nvme/ - exists

/mnt/pool_nvme/system/ - exists

/mnt/user/system/ - missing

All other user shares do exist. If I try to add system under the shares tab a red text shows "Starting services" for several hours until the next morning. The new user share will not be created. Stick is ok and other changes will be stored. Did reboot several times. No change on this system thing.

That looks weird from the ZIP:

1) The file system.cfg in /shares does exist but is not hidden. And the first line in that file says "# Share does not exist".

2) shareUser="e" in share.cfg. Is this correct?

root@Tower:~# ls -la /mnt/pool_nvme/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users  34 May  7 22:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 30 nobody users 600 Mar  4 06:34 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root    6 May  7 22:51 syslog/
drwxrwxrwx  6 root   root   81 Dec 27  2021 system/

root@Tower:~# ls -la /mnt/pool_nvme/system/
total 1048576
drwxrwxrwx  6 root   root          81 Dec 27  2021 ./
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users         34 May  7 22:51 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root          55 Dec 25 18:50 ISOs/
drwxrwxrwx 11 root   root         161 Mar 12 18:26 appdata/
drwx--x--- 15 root   root         256 Feb  8 14:38 docker/
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root           6 Dec  5 07:12 domains/
-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody users 1073741824 Feb  8 14:42 libvirt.img

tower-diagnostics-20230513-0721.zip

Edited by hawihoney
4 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

You can set this at the disk or pool level also.

I just checked and it looks like this can be set at the pool level but not the disk level, but even so I must admit I never noticed this possibility :(   I will have to see how it interacts with the global setting for User Shares.

I've never noticed this setting, but it must default to 'Yes' since I have never set it. My guess is it is similar to the Include/Exclude setting in Global Share Settings. In Global Share settings, you can control whether or not specific array disks are included in user shares. Probably this setting controls whether or not a specific pool is included in user shares.

OP has disk shares enabled in Global Share Settings. I don't. Maybe that is involved in some way.

54 minutes ago, trurl said:

OP has disk shares enabled in Global Share Settings.

After reading the answers I'm completely lost now.

As you can see on the screenshots below User Shares and Disk Shares are both enabled within Global Share settings.

In addition the only setting for User Shares within the pool settings is enabled as well.

Screenshots and listings above proof that there must be something wrong, but I have no idea what might be wrong.

Adding the missing share "system" leads to a hanging "Starting services" for several hours. A reboot does not fix that.

To make it clear: My really fat system runs perfect since a very long time but there was always that system thing that I never found a solution for.

Clipboard01.jpg.583a3f66ffb0c3c0b9742de41221bafb.jpg

Clipboard02.thumb.jpg.4ff1e34eb4e3f77faa2f8ca13eaf9f48.jpg

root@Tower:~# ls -la /mnt/pool_nvme/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users  34 May  7 22:51 ./
drwxr-xr-x 30 nobody users 600 Mar  4 06:34 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root    6 May  7 22:51 syslog/
drwxrwxrwx  6 root   root   81 Dec 27  2021 system/

root@Tower:~# ls -la /mnt/pool_nvme/system/
total 1048576
drwxrwxrwx  6 root   root          81 Dec 27  2021 ./
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users         34 May  7 22:51 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root          55 Dec 25 18:50 ISOs/
drwxrwxrwx 11 root   root         161 Mar 12 18:26 appdata/
drwx--x--- 15 root   root         256 Feb  8 14:38 docker/
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   root           6 Dec  5 07:12 domains/
-rw-rw-rw-  1 nobody users 1073741824 Feb  8 14:42 libvirt.img

[...]
S---------------t                 shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk8
system                            shareUseCache="no"      # Share does not exist
T--p                              shareUseCache="no"      # Share exists on disk17
[...]

BTW, I did download several diagnostics to check if there's something wrong with my settings. I found very interesting combinations. E.g.:

shareUser="e"

shareUser="-"

shareUser="Auto"

shareUser="No"

Somebody should sync that to the most current values. Poor luck that this works? Just my 0.02 Cent.

Edited by hawihoney
58 minutes ago, trurl said:

Probably not many good reasons to work with disks over the network anyway, and good reasons to avoid that.

Oh, I do have a perfect reason to use Disk Shares. A Plex instance with access to several Unraid boxes (Unraid VMs). Using User Shares is a killer for that. I use Disk Shares instead. Plex can handle those more than 100 library folders perfectly. You access Plex content that is stored on VM01/Disk 12 - only that Disk spins up. In the beginning, several years ago, I tried it once with User Shares and it was a really, really, really bad experience.

58 minutes ago, trurl said:

What happens if you disable disk shares?

I doubt that it has something to do with that. All User Shares work but this single "system" one. Perhaps there is a hidden rule to avoid that name ... But wait, both root folders on that pool don't work.

When 6.12 stable is in the wild I will try to disable Disk Shares just for a test.

So everything in the settings shown above looks ok? shareUser="e" is really valid?

Edited by hawihoney
On 5/13/2023 at 3:45 PM, hawihoney said:

So everything in the settings shown above looks ok? shareUser="e" is really valid?

That is normal, might have something to do with the system share being created manually, at least that's what the owner suggests, try this:

stop any services using the system share and rename it, e.g.:

mv /mnt/pool_nvme/system/ /mnt/pool_nvme/old_system/

re-start array, see if old_system is now a share, if yes create a new system share using the GUI, then move everything from the old share to the new one and re-start the services