Streaming from Unraid to ??? with WMA(Lossless), VOB

Has anyone had anyluck streaming VOB's from a Video_ts folder and Music in WMA (Lossless) format. I am currently using XP MCE 2005 and I am sick of reloading windows with every change of hardware and then sitting on hold with them for 2 hours while I wait to activate the software I overpaid for twice with two MCE machines that I have.

I am looking for a software and a front end to replace the MCE box. I would like to use an XBMC box or the like but really do not want to loose my PVR. I have tried now a couple of Media players it seems all the new boxes like this are based on Sigma chipsets and I think there is one company building the front end for those boxes and it just plain bites. Everything is too slow, multiple menu's to get to a single movie etc...

I have tried Twonky and have it running now but I cannot get and there lack of support is brutal, I can see TOWER with my XBOX360 no problem but my music playback on every second song sounds choppy and no Video_TS support that I can figure out. I am not wanting to transcode or reformat my entire music and movie collection to please Microsoft.

Regards,

DVS

I stream from Unraid, using Twonky (linux version on the usb) to a Dlink DSM 520. For around $150 it will stream VOB's with no effort at all. You wont have PVR ability but if you have Windows Media Center on you computer you could save the MS DR files to the Tower and play with the DSM.

I went ever route possible before ending up this the unriad server, Twonky server DSM player. Its the simplest and most of all it works for me almost 100% of the time.

I stream from Unraid, using Twonky (linux version on the usb) to a Dlink DSM 520. DSM player. Its the simplest and most of all it works for me almost 100% of the time.

How much is the impact on memory of the Twonky server? Can unRAID handle this with max 1GB and no swap? With unRAID servers capable to hold 15TB of data, libraries may become huge.

Regards

Harald

XBMC, picked up an XBOX with about 50 games and all the accessories for 200$ and now I am off to the races. XBMC so far is OK. I had to install the latest build to handle my library but it streams no problems for both vob and lossless WMA found all my M3U data as well with Album Art. The DVD library was a little trickier about 16 hours to get it all set up with all my movies and cover art primarily because ImDB cannot spell. I packed all my original DVD's away in boxes in the basement so pulling those out to get the UPC's to build a profiler report was too much had to do it manually.

Regards,

DVS

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting ready to do this too crank. Anything I should know first?

To hawihoney - the 1gb memory has no probs with this. I have 3tb (six hd) of files right now and there is no slow down. I absoultly love this solution with unraid, twonky and a good player (dsm or xbmc).